Would you start again with these dry laminates - epoxy on plywood...

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Reggie

Would you start again with these dry laminates - epoxy on plywood...

Postby Reggie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:16 am

I am worried that my fabric looks too dry when cured…

I have attached a few pictures of where I have laminated the 400 gsm biaxial fabric - which is 5 years old - has been kept on a roll, wrapped in plastic, in a store, but in an area in the tropics with a high ambient moisture content.

My work cycle was to heat the plywood of the boat slightly with a heat gun, to aid it in absorbing resin - and then to roll epoxy on with a foam roller. Wait about 15 minutes and then roll another coat over this and lay up the biaxial fabric on top of this.

I then used a foam roller to roll resin on top of the fabric. After this, I used a hard aluminum roller with ridges (as used in the fiberglass boat industry) to really try and squeeze all this in.

I am conscious that the aim of a good lamination is to try for an epoxy glass ratio of 50-50% and I am wondering if perhaps I have been too miserly with my resin… or whether the plywood (being extra dry from living under a tarp with a dehumidifier) is sucking the resin out of the fabric?

Would the smart move be to remove the “dry” laminates and start again?

Many thanks

Jimbob

Re: Would you start again with these dry laminates - epoxy on plywood...

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am

I'm no expert on fiberglass, but I have had a little experience in working with it. I have done both the dry method and the wet method. I prefer the wet method that you did. When I did the bottom of my boat, I poured on the epoxy and then spread it around. It was nice and thick. I then applied the cloth, and then poured on more epoxy, and then carefully spread it around. I could see the fibers turn clear as I was applying the final coat of epoxy. I didn't need to try to force the epoxy into the fiberglass cloth. Sounds like you might have not applied enough epoxy. Try your process on some scraps and see what happens. At this point in time I don't think you will get the clear fiberglass without sanding down and starting over. If you are going to paint over it, it might not matter if the cloth is not clear.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

hoodman

Re: Would you start again with these dry laminates - epoxy on plywood...

Postby hoodman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm

What I'm thinking is that you used biaxial cloth which is different that what most of us have used. I don't think it will go fully clear when wetted out like regular woven cloth.

Return to “Epoxy”