MAS epoxy over Interlux Interstain

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Elocke

MAS epoxy over Interlux Interstain

Post by Elocke » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:04 pm

I am building the Bonanza. I modified the exterior plans by cold molding 3” strips of Meranti plywood held on with poxigrip and Raptor nails. I am thinking about staining with Interstain then going over with 4oz fiberglass cloth and MAS resin. Does anyone have any experience with this, and does anyone know if the epoxy will adhere with that stain?

I appreciate any help. Eric
Duck Boat Too completed 1997; Bonanza work in progress

Roberta

Re: MAS epoxy over Interlux Interstain

Post by Roberta » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 am

Do a test strip of scrap wood using your intended procedure. Leave a tail of glass cloth loose to pull on to determine adhesion.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am

Roberta has the best approach, give it a go and see how the fiberglass adheres. One thing I have seen is Goudgeon Brothers did a test with their WEST System epoxy over various brands of stain. Most did well except for Minwax stain which failed badly. Most folks here have had good results with various epoxies over stains. If I remember correctly, they all recommended letting the stain sit for anywhere from a week to a month before applying the epoxy, the longer the better. That allows any stain solvents time to evaporate or dissipate so they don't interfere with the epoxy curing or bonding properly.
Good luck with you boat, post photos and most of all have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Elocke

Post by Elocke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks for the advice!
Eric
Duck Boat Too completed 1997; Bonanza work in progress