GOOD EPOXY/BAD EPOXY

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

jack.

GOOD EPOXY/BAD EPOXY

Post by jack. » Fri May 11, 2007 6:03 am

I have shortened my choice to 2 EPOXYs :-

1.WEST SYS 8gallon = 500Euros/675$ or
2.No Name Cheap Brand(BBC Epoxy) = 300Euros/400$
(Europe prices SUCK big time but postage for Epoxy from the US SUCKS MORE!! :shock: )
I wondering what the pros/cons of using CHEAP brands against a well known product like WEST are???
275$ is a big saving but im not sure i wanna take the chance of compromising the project quality for 275$
jack
[/b]

Drew

Post by Drew » Fri May 11, 2007 7:51 am

West Systems is over priced but for some reason thats all I can find and its all I use.

HouTexBBC

Post by HouTexBBC » Fri May 11, 2007 11:18 am

jack - I know nothing about the science of how the epoxy chemical is made, but I do believe that the off-brand products, here in the US at least, are of as good a quality as the branded stuff like West. I agree with Drew that West is incredibly overpriced. I have built 3 boats using off brand epoxy and have been very satisfied.

Dennis

jack.

re:thx

Post by jack. » Fri May 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Thx fella's, I don't know much about epoxy and boatbuilding only what i've picked up researching a CS 20 glen l project.I suppose that most people have horror stories about top products and the cheaper products,i'm hoping on a few more replies so i can get a better idea.i heard that west was top dollar,hard to use around sharp corners and the 5:1 mix can cause problems if your math is no good :lol: the price i got for west is a great price here most places want 650-700euro for 8/9 gallons....thats my reason for west as for a cheaper "no name brand" i got no idea!! i've found lots of these kinds but little chance of finding someone who's used them. jack

DavidMcA

Post by DavidMcA » Fri May 11, 2007 2:08 pm

I haven't heard of any disaster stories with other brand epoxies. Most problems I've heard about are when people don't mix it right. Also, it seems different epoxies like/dislike different varnishes over them.
David McAdam
Squirt Gallery - Its BACK!!
http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/
BOAT IS NOW SOLD

John K

Post by John K » Sat May 12, 2007 5:02 am

Drew wrote:West Systems is over priced but for some reason thats all I can find and its all I use.
Drew, You have Clark Craft located in the Buffalo Harbor. Not sure how far that is from you, but they do ship.

Drew

Post by Drew » Sat May 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Drew, You have Clark Craft located in the Buffalo Harbor. Not sure how far that is from you, but they do ship.[/quote]

Hmmm.. Ill have to look into that. Thanks for the information!

kens

Post by kens » Sun May 13, 2007 6:08 am

Noahs supply is in Canada too.

Return to “Epoxy”