Can PoxyGrip bond wood to fiberglass?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

WarrenW

Can PoxyGrip bond wood to fiberglass?

Post by WarrenW »

I'm about to attach a new transom of marine ply to the sides and bottom of a fiberglass boat. Will PoxyGrip hold this? I will be using fiberglass tape of multiple layers in the sides and bottom as well as braces. But will PoxyGrip hold to fiberglass or is it only for wood?

Warren
Building the Malahini
Soon to be named - It's a Bella

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV »

Poxygrip will hold just about anything. The problem when using it for glassing is that it is so thick that it can be difficult to work the Poxygrip into the fiberglass cloth. The key to attaching fiberglass is that you get the cloth completely saturated with epoxy. I would go with a thinner mix, you can pick up small amounts of glassing resin at West Marine or other such places.

WarrenW

Post by WarrenW »

What I plan to do is just use the poxygrip for holding the transom to the hull shell on the sides and bottom. Thats all. Then i also have Poxy Shield to use with the fiberglass. I've used the poxygrip for building frames and your right, its way too thick for soaking the fiberglass with. I have not used poxyshield before but just have some. I have heard it is much thinner and should work fine for the fiberglass tape.

Thanks

Warren
Building the Malahini
Soon to be named - It's a Bella

KnottyBuoyz

Post by KnottyBuoyz »

You might want to use the poxygrip to bond the ply to the glass and form a nice 1" radius fillet with a tongue depresser. Then right away, working wet on wet, lay in your tape. Overlap the edges of the tape by a couple of inches staggering them.

Something like that. I apologize for the poor drawing skills. Although I've never done it myself I've seen it done this way. Bedding the new transom in a generous amount of epoxy. Make sure your bonding surfaces are clean and ready for the new resin and glass. Good luck. Let us know how you make out Warren.
Yours Aye!
Rick

Return to “Epoxy”