Polyester resin curing problems

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

hwphysman

Post by hwphysman »

I applied polyester resin on a woodend camper I built and it still has not cured after 3 months or so. Still a bit tacky. I really do not want to try to take off the resin. Is there anything I can do? Maybe another coat that is "Hot". One of my friends said that the resin was too old and that is why it didn't cure. I would really like some help on this. The camper is a teardrop made of plywood and it came out great execpt for the final coat.
Physman

capt jake

Post by capt jake »

I have used the 'hot' coat method to cure bondo that I mixed in the wrong proportions. It worked with the bondo, which is also a polyester based product.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Photos!! We want Photos!! I'm building a teardrop too and would love to see some photos of your project.

As far as the epoxy goes, I know it's a hassle but why take the risk of getting in even deeper? Bite the bullet, scrape it off. Clean the last of the sticky with acetone and start over. I know I won't win any popularity contests by being the bearer of bad news, but isn't your project worth the time it takes to do it right?

I can say this because I did the exact same boo boo on my Zip ....... twice. ...... in a row. They say the first time is a mistake but the 2nd is like intentional. One thing though. After the 2nd time of having to scrape it off, I've never ever mixed epoxy improperly since.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

capt jake

Post by capt jake »

As far as the epoxy goes, I know it's a hassle but why take the risk of getting in even deeper? Bite the bullet, scrape it off. Clean the last of the sticky with acetone and start over. I know I won't win any popularity contests by being the bearer of bad news, but isn't your project worth the time it takes to do it right?
That was my original thought. I just didn't want to be the one who said it. :shock:

Eric

Post by Eric »

Most polyester resin has about a 90 shelf life.

Yep, take it off and go to epoxy.

hwphysman

Post by hwphysman »

I was afraid of that. I already have two coats on it actually. So do you think I should get as much of it off with acetone and try again, or do I need to actually try to sand off the sticky mess? I do want to do it right since I have put a lot of work in this camper. I will share a picture if someone tells me how to get it on the site.
Physman

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

I vote that you remove all the resin. I know it is a pain in the butt, however, you have come this far...you cannot afford to say to yourself: "Geez I wish I had...."...so go for it, it will only set you back a little time and money, but you will be much happier in the end.

Steve

Scrape as much as you possibly can. Acetone will help with the final remnants but get the majority off "dry" if possible.

hwphysman

Post by hwphysman »

How do you all reccomend scarping if off. Puddy knife? I don't want to scrach the plywood. It is only a little bit tacking the finish is pretty hard. I have not tried heat guns or anything. Should I try that first? Thanks for help
Physman

hwphysman

pictures of tear drop

Post by hwphysman »

If anyone wants to see pictures of the camper email me at hwphysman@comcast.net and I will send you an invite to see some pictures of the camper. They are on a Kodack easyshare account.
Physman

BobL

Post by BobL »

I have no experience with polyester resin. But I read from one of Glen-L's books about the two different types of resins: Laminating and finishing resins. If you use laminating resin for the outer most layer, the resin will remain tacky forever as long as it is exposed to air.. Whereas the finishing resin has wax content that prevent the resin from exposing to air.

Could this be the reason of your problem?
Regards,
Bob

If your boss is driving you nuts, build a boat.
Growing older is mandatory, getting wiser is optional.

Return to “Epoxy”