Spar helmsman urethane

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

ChuckR

Spar helmsman urethane

Post by ChuckR » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:57 am

Has anyone used Helmsman for a topcoat over epoxy? It seems to adhere well to sanding sealer, but not sure about epoxy. I may have to do a test...

Barry

Post by Barry » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:12 pm

Once the epoxy is fully cured and any amine blush removed, it should be fine. A cured epoxy is a non-porous, inert surface. The main thing is that it is fully cured and well sanded.

ChuckR

Post by ChuckR » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks Barry, I'll give it a try.

bawduniak

Post by bawduniak » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:48 pm

i painted helmsman spar urethane over well sanced west system epoxy, and midway through the second season it all peeled off in giant sheets. i'm not sure what the problem was, but i won't use it again.

cyclops

Post by cyclops » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:34 pm

West systems have a lot of blush when fully cured. That is why the Spar peeled off. I Don't use West epoxy and some others for the blush is very time consuming to remove after each coat. 2 brands leave no blush.

bronk

Post by bronk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Up against Z-SPar Flagship or Captains the helmsman is just not in the same league. It does not have the UV resistance and flow out is terrible (lots of bubbles).

I had used flagship on my boat (beatiful stuff). It came time to refinish manyo f my wood windows in the house and since my wife had the idea on a Sunday.... the boat store was not open. After some miserable work witheh Helmsman, I went out the next week and got some Captains and it was a night and day difference. After 2 years the windows done with helmsman peeled / disintegrated again and the captains were still going strong (similar exposure).

If you are fighting peeling be sure you have hte blush off, but equally important, be ABSOLUTELY SURE you sand to full scratch (no glossy spots left) with 220 grit sandpaper. If the epoxy is left glossy nothing will stick for long (yes I KNOW from experience - trying to cut corners).
Mark Bronkalla
www.bronkalla.com - 50 mph furniture

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:35 pm

A "rating" of varnishes from "Brightwork, the art of finishing wood"

1. interlux #60
2. Superspar #90
3. Clipper Clear #95
4. Schooner #96
5. Inter-poly Clear #97
6. Epifanes (private labeled as hinckleys)
7. Z-spar
8. McKloskeys (Bote Kote)
9. Woolsey

Steve

Camera

Re: Spar helmsman urethane

Post by Camera » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 am

Do not do. Made this mistake once. Even with proper sandin ofthe epoxyg, the urethane took 2 weeks to dry. Buy a good marine varnish, the extra 20$ worth the money

Roberta

Re: Spar helmsman urethane

Post by Roberta » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:03 am

If epoxy is not completely cured (I mean for weeks) do not varnish over it. Has to be cleaned aof all waxes and amine blush. West's is very prone to heavy blushing. System Three is less likely to blush. I prefer a good sealer like Petits or thinned Epifanes wherever I varnish. Much safer.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".