Bubbles in epoxy

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

John K

Bubbles in epoxy

Post by John K »

Last night on HGTV they poured epoxy onto a table top. This is a different type epoxy. They had a lot of bubbles. They top a propane torch and lightly went over the surface, bubbles gone. Apparently, the carbon monoxide from the torch pulls out the bubbles and not the heat.

Bet this would work the same on epoxy that we use for the boats.

gregggrundon

heater

Post by gregggrundon »

Hey John,
Are you going to try it? Let us know if it works. I waste a lot of time looking at the boat, drinking beer, waiting for the sun to start setting, so I can get the epoxy on with out all the bubbles.
But, the idea of getting near my plywood and epoxy monsterpiece with a torch is SCARY! :shock:
So I'd love to see somebody Else's boat try this method out, first. Yeah I know I could just do a test in the sun, but, then I wouldn't get to see if anybody tried on their boat. :lol:
Aloha,
Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

Dave Grason

Re: heater

Post by Dave Grason »

gregggrundon wrote: But, the idea of getting near my plywood and epoxy monsterpiece with a torch is SCARY! :shock:
WOW, Scary is right! But it's worth a try for a test piece. Hmmm this has me thinking. So far I haven't had any probs with bubbles. But then again, I haven't gotten to the brightwork yet either. Maybe I just haven't paid attention to the bubbs because I've only worked on what was going to get painted anyway. Hmmm.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

gregggrundon

bubbles

Post by gregggrundon »

Around here, it's so hot and humid all year that epoxy goes off fast, bubbles appear if you are in the sun, especially as the day gets hotter. I've got to wait for evening to get any epoxy on the boat if I don't want to sand most of my money back off. The epoxy they have locally is about $500.00 per the only size they've got; 5 gal.- Gougen Bros.
Expensive stuff to waste.

Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

c.michaelhill

Post by c.michaelhill »

I saw that episode ...looked great, did not work on the boat. I was real excited to try it but it had no real effect, only made the boat smoke a little.

Return to “Epoxy”