Encapsulating with propane heater

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

erik02c

Encapsulating with propane heater

Post by erik02c »

I have a 50,000 btu propane heater for my garage and want to encapsulate my flying saucer this winter. I can get the garage up to about 65 degrees. I understand there are flammable fumes with most chemical coatings, is this true with the poxy shield? I was thinking i could heat up the garage for a little while then turn it off while applying ( probably with fast hardener). Does anyone see any problems with this? -Eric-
-eric-

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

We were discussing this on another thread recently and I think we decided that the only real problem would be with possible cloudiness in the epoxy. Therefore, if you're going to paint over the epoxy, I see no probs.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

a couple of thoughts..

1) make sure you have proper ventilation
2) I thought I read somewhere that the propane heaters caused humidity problems that might be the source of the cloudiness problem Dave mentioned.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

basilkies

Post by basilkies »

I see a big problem here. It is important to let the epoxy dry in an even or falling temperature. If you're garage gets warmer as the epoxy dries the hull will get warmer and start off gassing and create air bubbles in your epoxy.

So, blast away with the heaters but turn them off when you apply the epoxy. If you don't you will have large air bubbles in the epoxy that even sanding won't solve.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Since I've been moving my woodshop around, I've given a lot of thought to how to heat the new place. I've decided to go with about 4 of those oil filled radiator heaters. Has anyone had any experience with these things?

I think that, other than possibly being a little pricey on the electric bill, they should do well owing to there being no open flame whatsoever.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

RoyH

Post by RoyH »

Hope you have a good insurance on your boat and garage..
Here in Norway most oilfilled radiator heaters are banned, because there has been several fires where the heaters have started to leak and cought fire. Several people have died in fires caused by oilfilled radiator heaters... :cry:
I'm just a starteled bunny in the headlights of life..

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

That's good to know. I'll check long and hard. I think the idea is good but I'll look around to explore the safety concerns.

rasorinc

Post by rasorinc »

yOUR Humidity will go way up. Find a way to solve that or drying will take a long time.
Wood lasts generations.

kens

Post by kens »

Dave:
How big an area are you trying to heat? A big building, or, just a workplace. I am a aviation mech, so we try to heat (work inside) aircraft hangers. There is no way to heat the whole hanger, so we have in the past built a plastic shed around the fueselage, letting the wings & tail stick out. Then just heat the plastic shed up to workable temp.
I did similar to my autobody shop also, I cut the shop in half with a plastic curtain and had 1 heated and 1 unheated areas. Since the unheated part does not freeze at all, I only had to raise the temp in the heated part about 10degrees to get it workable.
We got kinda creative with the hanger curtains to the point of having roll-up curtains, corner curtains, square curtains, etc. We raised them up with rope/pulleys to roll in a project, then close it.
I think your little electric oilfilled heaters hold merit if you keep the expected area small. An insulated cieling helps too, more heat goes out the top than the sides.

J Patroni

Post by J Patroni »

In the past when needed to heat a small shop where I could not have an open flame and didn't need a permanent heating system, I have used a old wood burning stove located outside the building. On the top of the wood burner I encased a coil of tubing and made a closed loop system with a Modine H coil/blower combo and a pump. The coil setup can be vented to prevent pressure buildup and filled with a antifreeze mixture to prevent freezing when not in use. Simple and safe for my needs.
You only need to get the water temp up to 110 - 120 degrees to make it work. So, soldered soft copper tubing will do the job for the coil.

If you don't like to work with a wood burning stove or you want to maker hot water faster you can use one of the 200,000 btu propane can heaters that are used on construction sites to heat the coil.

This heat supply will make dry heat and reduce the chance of putting moisture in the air.
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

kens wrote:Dave:
How big an area are you trying to heat? A big building, or, just a workplace.
The new place is the width of a one car garage but a little deeper. You could like put a Grand Marquis and a Smartcar end to end. The plastic idea is excellent. I do have good insulation except for the garage door itself.

This evening, I bought 2 of the 1500 watt oil filled radiator heaters. Now I have a new problem. LOL. With both of them going, the 20 amp breaker at the box keeps tripping.

Oh well. I'll figure it out.

sinvela

Post by sinvela »

Dave,

Sounds like some folks are confusing "oil-filled" with "oil-fired". There should be no issue with "oil-filled", since they are electric - ie: no combustion moisture.

RE: the breaker tripping -- with two 1500 watt heaters, you are pushing 27 amps at 110 VAC -- likely to trip the 20 amp breaker. Do you have a lower power setting on the heaters -- like 1000 watts? If so, you should be OK ith the two heaters at the lower setting on the 20 amp breaker, since you will then only be drawing about 18 amps -- just don't turn on the big power saw at the same time :roll: . PS: I have the same problem in my RV, using 2 heaters on the 20 amp circuit. By keeping them at the 1000 watt setting, I.ve had no problem all winter.
......SURE BEATS WORKIN' !!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

RoyH wrote: Here in Norway most oilfilled radiator heaters are banned, because there has been several fires where the heaters have started to leak and cought fire.
Here's an update on my oilfilled radiator heaters. I didn't have any fire problems of course, but they just wouldn't give off the heat that i was expected much less was needing. I suspect, that they've been "detuned" in an effort to eliminate some of the dangers but from what I can see, the trade off is that they don't seem to work. To make matters worse, as I said before, I can't switch them on without tripping breakers at the garage panel. In fact, I can't even use them one at a time without tripping the breaker. And my big 110v air compressor doesn't even do that. So BACK TO THE STORE they went!

I'm done with oil filled radiator heaters.

Return to “Epoxy”