gorilla glue

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

richww76

gorilla glue

Post by richww76 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 am

I have been reading on some other web sites about gorilla glue.I am thinking of useing it to glue the frames of my drift boat to the plywood and also nailing it what do you guys think of this please. Rich

One guy says he scarffs withit not sure I would want to do that

RickT

Re: gorilla glue

Post by RickT » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 am

I've just started a drift boat and have used it to scarf all the longitudenals. I think it's great, easy to use. it has no VOCs. I don't clamp I use a pnuematic stapler and leave the staples in,(driven deep).
I'll be glueiing and screwing the planking on.

My opinion is that the drift boat will not be sitting in the water all the time. It will be coated with a good quality latex paint. I will probably not fiberglass it. Will it last 25 years -may be not. Do I care?

Rick

RickT

Post by RickT » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm building my drift boat with Home depot spruce lumber that I resaw. It doesn't like to bend. I set up a steam box to bend the sheer and chine battens. 7 out of 8 broke at the Gorilla Glue scarf. I remember an article in Wood Boat about glue. The author had tested quite a few. One of his final comments was don't sail your glued baot in Volcanic water!

A trip to Home Depot.

I came home with a sheet of good two sides 1/4 inch ply. I've laminated 3 layers with Gorilla. The chine battens are done and the inner sheer battens are 3/4 done. I should be able to start planking next weekend!

have'n fun

rick

galamb

Post by galamb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Gorilla glue, which is a polyurethane, is fantastic for alot of things (especially cabinet work), but until the mfg rates it as "waterproof for marine applications below the waterline" I would restrict it's use to either interior or non-structural use on a boat.

And, it's not really any cheaper than "proven" marine epoxy if you compare like amounts.

Just my 2 cents...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm not sure of it's gap filling properties.

You have to clamp it tightly, so I would imagine you would have to have precise joints for it to work correctly,unless it has strength in large filled gaps

galamb

Post by galamb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:58 am

It's not all that flexable either. I tried it a few years back to see how it would work laminating limbs on recurve bows and it failed almost everytime when the laminations were put under stress (such as when you draw a bow).

Given that a boat hull must also be able to withstand numerous stress cycles (waves pounding, hull twisting etc) it's probably not the best adhesive for the hull structure.

It is however, outstanding glue for furniture and cabinets (which sit perfectly still most of their life).

I have never heard how it would hold up if totally encapsulated with cloth and epoxy however.

Gil Gilpatrick, a well known strip canoe builder in Maine glues up his cedar strips with plain old Elmer's white glue but then covers both sides with West System and 6oz cloth. And while the G brothers at WEST recommend using epoxy to edge glue the strips, they readily admit the Gil's method is very sound and well proven - so Gorilla glue (or any of the other brands of polyurethane) may act the same way, but again, on a cost by fluid oz basis it's really not cheaper than epoxy to which there is little question about the adhesive integrity.....
Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:44 pm

I've thrown out more Gorilla glue than I've used .

It seems to harden in the bottle before I can get back to using it. :oops:

Epoxy won't do that!! :wink:

RickT

Post by RickT » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:21 pm

My enthusiasm for Gorill is the no VOC's.

I would use a different technic if I was building an expensive boat.

have'n fun!

Rick

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Personally I think for these builds on the forum and the plans that represent them should have an additional sheet in the instructions that clearly states that gorrilla glue should not be anywhere near the hull portion of the build.

galamb

Post by galamb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 am

Hmmm, epoxy works out to somewhat less than $1 per ounce (and the VOC's for WEST are almost non-existant) and is available in numerous different quantities.

I use Gorilla glue as well in my woodshop and often pay 4-5 bucks for the 2oz bottle - so for me, working with Gorilla would be an "expensive" build....
Graham

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 am

Expensive - yes. But moreso, those little bubbles Gorilla Glue makes when it cures scares the POOP out of me for anything below the waterline.

The real test will be at the 2027 Gathering (can I make a reservation yet?) when all these boats we build will be 20 years old.

I feel pretty safe with my epoxy.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

galamb

Post by galamb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:57 am

The polyurethane glues actually recommend that you "dampen" the wood prior to applying the glue (read the bottle) and from personal experience I can say that it certainly does help sigificantly (the stuff bubbles like nuts and actually does do some decent gap filling at least on the bookcases and wall units that I used it on).

But that is another no-no in boat building. You are supposed to try and keep the moisture content as stable as possible until it's encapsulated to help prevent twisting, shrinkage etc etc - so having to wet the wood in order to use the glue "as recommended by the mfg" is just another reason to keep it away from a boat....
Graham

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

liquid PU is for people that can't make a proper joint, and want to hide the huge gap. It's truly noob-glue in any application.

The foam hides sub-standard joint quality (read huge gap), and holds water like a canteen-then after all that, the joints really aren't all that reliable unless uniform clamping pressure is achieved. If I can't get that "perfect" pressure with a pneumatic clamping table, what chance do you have with a box of harbor freight pipe clamps?

Never build your boat with glue sold in the impulse sale bins next to the registers at home cheapo. :roll:
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

RickT

Post by RickT » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Well I've had more fun.

I was having a heck of a time with battens breaking on my 14 foot drift boat. Glenn L doesn't provide plans for boats that are this difficult to build I thought. I brought out the plans and rechecked my set up. The problem was I had the stem 4" closer to the first station mold than it was supposed to be. After correcting that little problem things sailed along really well. I would like to post pictures. Will the moderator help me?
Attachments
planking in place 002.jpg
Dusty 002.jpg

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:39 am

It looks like you are able to post the photos.