G-7 Report

Moderator: Roberta

Bill Edmundson

G-7 Report

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Too tired right now. Will post later.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Old aussie

Re: G-7 Report

Postby Old aussie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:12 pm

photos please. rest later.....

Old Aussie Peter....

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:56 pm

I'll report that there were many beautiful boats, nicest people in the world and two very excellent guitar players!!

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Just got home and unloaded. I have a good bit of video and pictures to go through. I will post a few pictures soon and maybe a video clip real soon. There was no internet available at the Gathering this year, couldn't even post a picture to facebook from my phone until we left today.

I will be editing two new builder interviews and "boats on the water" video to send them to John and Gayle to publish on their youtube accont.

The Gathering was another great success. Thurs and Fri were very warm and humid with no wind but we had a great bunch of boats to ride in, smooth water, great food and great camaraderie. The river run to Chattanooga for lunch was heavily participated by the boats in attendance.

Friday after midnight the cold front swept across TN bringing heavy rains. About 8am Saturday the steady rain turned into nearly a tropical storm! The wind must have been blowing 40+mph and the rain was heavy! :shock: We dubbed it Hurricane GLEN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Shade canopies collapsed, my wife got an award for her "accidental parasail" while trying to save our canopy! :shock: Many boats had pulled out the night before to wait the rain out on land. Others were put in the open covered slips that Hales Bar Marina offered free for our use. A few rode it out on the dock but one of those had a bildge pump failure overnight and had to be bailed out with a battery box cover during the storm! The wind lasted about an hour and then we were back to steady rain until about noon. The rain stopped and the boats re-launched! :D The rest of the weekend had beautiful weather and temps about 75 with calm winds.

It may not have been the most boats we have ever had at a Gathering, (I think a couple may have backed out at the last minute due to the Saturday weather forecast) But I will say that the number of people there from near and far that had just started a build or had not yet chosen which plan to purchase bodes very well for how much the event may grow in the next couple years!

It was great to see all the new faces and re-kindle old friendships. Thanks to everyone for supporting this event.
Last edited by vupilot on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Well I hope everyone made it home safely.
I as a first timer can say this. It was a blast. Seeing the boats and talking to people in person and putting a face with name. Seeing 4 other Zips as well as mine. And Saturdays weather wow with gale force winds in the morning and then clearing the rest of the day. Mine Merc 45 hp ran but not so well the first couple of days and then we went out for a photo shoot and she got excited and woke up and started to run like I thought she could. My son, (co builder) was in the boat with me and we were grinning from ear to ear.
What a great time.
Jeff

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Here is a taste of what you may have missed!
DSCN2095.JPG

DSCN2153.JPG

DSCN2058.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:29 pm

DSCN2172.JPG

20130920_095104.jpg

20130920_093959.jpg

That's all for now.... Hey John B, Are you going to do a group photo gallery again like previous years, all in one place? How do you want all the pictures submitted? Electronically or snail mail on a CD?

Thx

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 pm

vupilot gave a good description is very good! Thanks Chris

The storm Saturday morning was a real pain :!: We lost 4 or 5 canopies, I think. Coffee pots were knocked over and bent, crockpot of food was broken and breakfast was off. But :!: When the front past, one canopy was put up for its last time, the one that was save saved went back up & two more new ones went up.

Paul Kane did some body work on a coffee maker and food came out! breakfast was on!

The Gathering rose from the storm as everyone adapted. New people had asked me what the breakfast plans are... Well, let's see 50 mph T'storm, Total destruction, breakfast casserole, pastries and coffee :!:

I love the way this group can just change on the fly and make thing's work like nothing happened. Thank You!

Personal Thanks! To the many people who helped everyone move their things back and forth from their vehicles to the cabins and help launch and recover the boats!

The list goes on and on... :!:

I can't believe I didn't take a single picture myself :!: :oops: But lots of things were going on!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey Chris, I'm intrigued by the boat in the last of your series of photos, the outboard configured as a gentleman's racer. Neat looking boat. Is that a Zip? Who is the builder?
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Mannanj

Postby Mannanj » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:27 pm

AWSOME boats! AWSOME people! As wanna-be first time builders, Becky and I came away with some good ideas and think we have made the model and engine combination that we'll start when we get back to Florida.

Thanks Bill for the great ride in Miss Lola! That clinched my choice of engines and it looks like a Biscayne is in our future.

Thanks everyone for your patience in answering my many dumb questions and providing a wealth of information that I would have spent many hours having to dig up in researching who knows where!

Who knew so many boaters also build and fly airplanes?
Msgt. Mannan Thomason USAF (Ret)
Bucket List Check Off In Progress
Starting Barrelback

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Ibrew2be,

You are correct that boat started from Zip plans but it is highly modified and no longer really resembles a Zip. Buddy Slack is the builder/design modifier and he calls it a Zap. It has at least one extra frame, is lengthened, has 3 knee's I believe he said and 85 hp! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: He's on the forum occasionally.

noterman

Postby noterman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm

As a first timer/wannabe builder I want to thank everyone for their warm welcome and patience answering all my questions. Wanda and I had a great time. Now we're busy "discussing" what to build. I'm still thinking about sails, while she really flipped over the console skiff we rode in. We're both looking forward to next year....

Bill Wheeler

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 am

Here are some of the few pictures I took. Speak up and claim your boat!

This one's mine.

"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
www.tubbytug.com

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 am

Great time renewing old friendships and making new ones. Great turn out despite the Saturday morning hurricane. :lol: After being sequestered part of the morning, we salvaged breakfast and went on to have a great time .

Looking forward to G8 next September and the first ever "Western Gathering" on Lake Powell at the WahWeap Resort near Page AZ in July.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chipper363

Postby chipper363 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 am

Susan and I want think everyone at the gathering for making us feel at home at our first event. What a great group and we are already planning for the next gathering ( larger gas tank for sure) Hope every made it home safe.

Buddy Slack
Logan's Run

Return to “Gathering 2013”