Loading Zip on trailer and gas tank

Moderator: Roberta

cusoak

Loading Zip on trailer and gas tank

Postby cusoak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:58 am

We have been using the Zip a lot now that we are back from the gathering.
What I am finding out is that mine is a pain to load on the trailer.
Can't seem to get the back end to settle on the trailer in the back end
I think this is because the bottom is so flat.
I was thinking of getting the guide on poles for the rear of the trailer.
Does any one else have this trouble.

One other question on the gas tanks up front. When you stop your motor and you are going to start up right away again do you have to pump the bulb again. Also while running is your bulb soft or hard.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Re: Loading Zip on trailer and gas tank

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 am

I guess guide poles would help, but, the nose and even the butt, of the ZIP are a lot narrower than the wide beam forward. That being the case would you put the poles at the widest part of the boat to stop lateral shifting, and if you did how much would they help guide you on, plus you would hope they wouldn't 'rub' your boat.

Not much help to you, but I build cradles to fit the hull of my ZIP so it's essentially self centering on the trailer.

As for soft or hard bulb while running, any chance the fuel pump diaphram might be getting soft with age and not pumping as much fuel. I usually don't need to reprime my system, but can't recall ever checking it's firmness while running.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:43 am

gdcarpenter
When you say you build cradles for your zip what do you mean. I used 4 bunks to support the bottom . 2out towards the chine to support it there then 2 more in side towards the keel.
I am thinking of putting some wood on the out side of the 2 that support the chine and make them high enough so that the would help center the boat on the trailer.
JEFF

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 am

I restored a oldie Goldie tubular trailer with cross frames, added one extra cross member, and created the cradles you can see in this photo that match the contours of the hull precisely, and line up exactly with the boat frames. I also have trailer battens that line up with the hull battens.

The bugbear is that the ZIP has such a skinny butt, but, is significantly wider midship. Possibly you could add a 'self centering roller' at the very back end of the trailer. The boat would not be riding on the roller once it's loaded, but might help you guide it on straight and centered.

Hope that old Merc is still running well, great to have met you at G7.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Sounds like you might be starting with the trailer too deep. I idle up to the trailer with the bunks about 3/4 under water and the boat almost self centers just gave to steer the back end with it still in idle forward gear. Then the wife backs the car slightly more and it slides right up to the winch post. As wife pulls car forward and all weight settles onto trailer I shut the outboard off. We stop and secure the bow strap before pulling the rest of the way up. I did install a bow roller just aft of the bottom of cutwater which helps guide the bow up and the back of the boat down as it idles up the trailer.

The motor doesn't ever need primer bulb pumped unless the motor is cold. Cold start i give it 3 pumps. If its been more than 20 minutes one or two pumps does it nicely. But if its been less time between rides it fires right up. The primer feels basically the same when running maybe slightly flatter if anything.

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:25 am

I have a single (shorter) guide post on the trailer for my malahini and it is very handy. After getting the bow pulled tight to the bow roller I sit in the back seat and hold on to the guide post while my driver pulls out. I've also done this by myself using a line tied to a cleat and the post to keep the boat pulled snug to the post while I pull it out.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Return to “Gathering 2013”