Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014

Discussion of Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders on fabulous Lake Powell, Utah.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Roberta

Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014

Postby Roberta » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:40 pm

The Lake Powell Gathering now a certainty. What is not certain is how many will be attending. July is probably the nicest (though hot) time to be there. The lake is high and the weather great. They are dredging the Castle Rock cutoff so it should be open for the 2014 season. WahWeap resort is working with Rod and me to make sure we have everthing we need. The campground is great and right next to the resort and marina. Slips will be available for a $20.58 a night fee and can be reserved in advance. The resort is beautiful and has a lot of options for rooms and suites. There are several restaurants and two pools. WahWeap is a World Class resort and Lake Powell is one of the most beautiful vacation destinations anywhere.

There are many areas to explore in the SW Utah area. This would be the perfect gathering to plan for a great and memorable Glen L Gathering and do a lot of vacationing in the area before and after the weekend gathering. Monument Valley is a few hr drive from Page AZ. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is a great day trip from Page. Bryce Canyon and Zion are also day trips.

Rich and I will be heading to Moab, UT and exploring Canyonlands and Arches National Park on our way to Page, AZ. We will also be stopping in Monument Valley for two nights. We plan on 4 nights (Thu-Mon) At WahWeap for the Gathering. Then we will head out to Escalante, UT for some slot canyon trails, The Grand Staircase, and Capital Reef. There are a lot of things to do both before and after the gathering. A family could plan a very memorable vacation around this gathering.

We are hoping to get the best possible accommodations at WahWeap for the gathering, but in order to do that we need to plan ahead. Since this is the busy time At Lake Powell, we need to reserve our spots ASAP. Lake Powell reserves all their accommodations easily with a CC and are fully refundable with reasonable notice. Only 24 hrs notice is required for lodge rooms and most other things. If you've ever wanted a truly magnificent SouthWest Vacation and a Boat Gathering that will be simply AWE INSPIRING, THIS IS IT!!!!!! LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Re: Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:12 pm

I wish I was in a position to go to this next year. I won't be so I can't make it. Not because of the boat, but because of major obligations financially.

But if Lake Powell is anything like Lake Shasta in California, then those of you who are going, are going to absolutely love the trip. Please take plenty of photos and videos and share them with us. At some future date, I will try to make one of the gatherings. I have been to similar events and I had some of the best times in my life on those trips.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I will be there of course please post your information on this link so i can update the list viewtopic.php?f=51&t=24363. Utah and az have many things that can be done through out the year and seasons. Lake Powell is just one of many lake available but one of the larger ones and probably the best equipped. If any repairs needed heaven forbid there is a large boat shop outside of bull frog the owners started out by being a self built boat builders and have a fondness for us builders. It will be one heck of a trip but reservations need to be made asap.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:28 am

I thought you might find this interesting
Flash floods at Lake Powell 09-07-13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCffOoP ... ata_player

This years monsoon season at Lake Powell was as crazy as we have ever seen! The lake has risen over two feet in the last week and still rising from the big rains!
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:11 am

WOW!!! I'm thinking we'll be OK in the first half of July. Or do you think we should move up to June?? Still can and since the cutoff it being dredged, it should be OK.

Roberta

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 pm

:lol: we should be OK in July it is usually pretty dry in the state at that time of the year. I just posted it to show how weird the weather can get here at times :roll: :lol: :wink: we will have snow by next month up north here where I am the weather is starting to cool off now.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 pm

I thought we would be. This will be a Gathering to Remember!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:52 pm

8) as of right know Lake Powell is pretty much shut down do to the close of all us parks. it should be over before the gathering. this article i found was kind of neat but could have been dangerous http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56951 ... o.html.csp
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:55 am

Wow! Must have ventured away from mama!!

Roberta :D

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 pm

8) Lake Powell is opened again the Utah state government got it reopened. :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I heard that today on the news!!! Good for Utah!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 pm

with the new people on forum decided to bump this up again. there was a question about 2 strokes on lake Powell here is what I found out I talked to Guy Robinson down at Powell his is the owner of the boat facilities down at Powell he stated that the restriction is only for jet skies but they are talking about it for regular motors as well but at this time there is no restrictions on regular boats. He is not happy about the restrictions on the lake and warned me they they could at anytime make it for boats as well. He say the government don't consider what the people want., So I will keep a eye on it. He stated in the future gatherings we may have a problem with it. he advised me not to put a 2 stroke in my boat.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 pm

8) for any want to stay in a house boat during the gather here you go http://www.lakepowell.com/summerhb2014? ... 18765733=1
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

dad21dog

Postby dad21dog » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm considering going with my fiancee/wife......if I can talk her into a couple of nights in utah.......maybe rent a RV etc......that way I can talk to you guys and gals who have been involved in boatbuilding and get a few hints and tips for starting my own francis drake build.
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

"love should be multiplied, not divided"

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:26 pm

It would be great to have you there. The WahWeap resort is very nice and has many accommodations from lodge rooms and suites to houseboats and camping. Gayle and John from Glen L are planning on attending and there will be other builders and boats there to look at. Rod and I are still planning some of the itinerary and basing it on interest and attendance. WahWeap's busiest time is in July, so it is wise to book early and be able to get the type of accommodations you want.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014”