Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014

Discussion of Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders on fabulous Lake Powell, Utah.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

dad21dog

Re: Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014

Postby dad21dog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:53 pm

we should be able to make our reservations after we get back from the cruise.......
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

"love should be multiplied, not divided"

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm

For anyone attending the gathering and wanting a boat slip during their stay at WahWeap Resort, contact Jennifer Yazzie. Her e-mail is:

yazzie-jennifer@aramark.com

The price for the slips (nice size, too 15 X 30 ft) is $27.44 per night and there is a 25% discount if you are staying in the lodge or camping.

I have mine!!!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Cliffy

Postby Cliffy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:47 pm

OK Let me chime in here as I live at Lake Powell.

July is warm (we call it warm, those from Seattle call it hot) and can get windy in the afternoon. You won't find a better lake for your Gathering. It's 180 miles long and has more shoreline than the distance from San Diego to Seattle. 500' sandstone cliffs everywhere, sandy beaches most canyons.
Buoys mark the center channels and their numbers denote how far up lake you are from the dam.
Fishing is excellent in the lake. Bass (both small mouth and large mouth) catfish by the hundreds at night, crappie, bluegill and no limit stripped bass fishing from 2 to 8 pounds average. Some people catch 100 per day easily ( check out http://www.wayneswords.com for the fishing report every week).

Water temp at the top surface will be high 70s or low 80s Ten feet down it will be in the low 60s and 50s.

Not to be missed is a tour of Antelope Canyon just east of Page, Lots of tour companies in downtown Page for this. Also absolutely not to be missed is the Colorado River tour below the dam to Lees Ferry. Big blue inflatable 25' boats hold 20 people each with NO white water on the trip but you'll be in the canyon with 900' sandstone cliffs, wildlife, 1000 yr old Indian markings, etc. This you have to do. It's done by Colorado River Discovery, a company in Page. It's a half day trip.

There is a fishing dock open all night at the east docks.

All boats brought in will have to undergo an inspection for quagga mussels before launch. It's done right at the launch ramp.
Sailing can be fun and challenging on the lake with the wind currents changing at every canyon. I've done it and it's fun.

Distances are big out on the lake. Going up lake can easily eat up 30 or 40 miles and you haven't gone that far on the lake. Watch your fuel. Always start out with a full tank. The next fuel dock up lake is about 40 plus miles up lake near Rainbow Bridge (if the cut is open, if not figure 65 or more miles the long way). Rainbow may be closed even next year due to flooding this year and washing out the trail and docks.

When on the lake, if a thunderstorm pops up and the wind picks up, head for a sheltered cove out of the wind and sit it out. I've seen 6' plus wind waves on this lake. It'll die down in a couple of hours usually. ALWAYS HAVE LIFE JACKETS AVAILABLE AND ALWAYS WORN BY THOSE UNDER 12.

The Sheriff does patrol and sometimes waits at the dock with breathalyzers. Always have one boat driver sober. I only say this because this is a big summer party lake with the skiers and houseboats and the Sheriff knows how much beer is used on the lake. I've personally seen a house boat launch with 100 cases of beer on board for a 3 day weekend!

Cell phone service is hit or miss on the lake but Marine radio works most every where for the Park
Service.

This is a great place for your Gathering ( that's why I live here!) You guys will have a fine time.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for the tips on exploring and enjoying the lake, Cliffy!!! I sincerely hope you will be joining us!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cliffy

Postby Cliffy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 am

I am presently designing my own boat. Just a small fishing hull that will be called "The Barge". Long story, but if I get it done I'll bring it down to the dock.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:00 pm

8) Thanks for the nice post I don't think people from out of this area Know what we have here. It is a beautiful place but like all large lakes it can get ruff. I feel either it or Flaming gorge to be the best places in this part of the country for a gathering. I hope to see you their :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 am

Less than 6 months 'til the Great Lake Powell Gathering!!! Get your reservations in and start planning for a really SPECTACULAR EXPERIENCE!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

dad21dog

Postby dad21dog » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Well, after much deliberation and a bit of disappointment on my end....I have to say that we will not be attending the july gathering at lake powell.. We will try to see about making the september gathering in tennessee.
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:14 pm

:? sorry to hear this you will be missed :(
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

dad21dog

Postby dad21dog » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:19 pm

thank you lowka.......I may even have to give up on my dream of building my francis drake.....hoping I can still do the hull, but physically I've gone a bit downhill this winter.....it's been nasty for the past three months or so........
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 am

:roll: guys and gals we are getting closer to the gather time get your reservations as soon as you can this is prime time at the lake and waiting to the last second is not wise. please post if attending and if you will have a boat there and how many in your party as of right now we have not set up who brings what for any buffet meals this being the first we will need help with most items shared with group I have the wine covered :lol: or at least I hope I do. :roll:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:12 am

I started an attendance roster.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Return to “Lake Powell Gathering July 11-13, 2014”