"Down Under" projects/potential gathering register

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

"Down Under" projects/potential gathering register

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:07 pm

This thread might be the forerunner to a Down Under Gathering. If you live in Australia, or potentially the other Australian State :twisted: , New Zealand then please respond with what you are building (with estimated completion date) or have built, and where you are. Also maybe whether your are interested in a gathering, and highlight any potential gathering spots.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Trackhappy

Re: "Down Under" projects/potential gathering register

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

I live on the Sunshine Coast, North of Brisbane. I am building Gentry, a Mahogany Gentleman's Runabout with an estimated completion date of Christmas 2011.

I can only think of the Broadwater on the Gold Coast as a venue, but I haven't travelled much.

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Jamie (Aussie),
I am building Kens 23ft Belle Isle barrel back (well just about to start)
I am also planning on being finished by x-mas 2011.
I live in Sarina near Mackay in Queensland, i think down around the Queensland NSW border area would be a good place to start looking.
Track the broadwater is salt water?? Salt will be fine for my boat but will it suit all boats????
Guess that will be a topic to discuss!

I am also not very well traveled out of Queensland so we will see what some others can bring to the table.

cheers

Jamie

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:45 pm

This is GREAT :!: Almost stragiht thru the earth. Two Gatherings :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:07 pm

I always wanted an excuse to go to Australia :D

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
www.tubbytug.com

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Aussie wrote:Hi everyone,

Track the broadwater is salt water?? Salt will be fine for my boat but will it suit all boats????
Guess that will be a topic to discuss!
cheers

Jamie

Hmmm, a Google search does not fill me with confidence that we have a facility such as they have. There are lakes, but not much in the way of facilities to go with them. Hopefully somebody else will have some ideas. I guess we have over a year to figure it out if we plan it around yours and my builds ;)

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I do like the idea of the broardwaters as we would fit right in with all the million dollar houses and would be the ideal place to show them off!!
Somewhere with floating cabins like Hales Bar would be perfect.... never know such a place may exist

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:40 am

Gidday from Sydney. My Monaco should be finished around March/April 2011........fingers crossed.
I know of one Tahoe builder at Windsor (Hi Ron) but Sydney seems to be a bit light on when it comes to Glen-L builders.
I would certainly like to be kept informed re a potential gathering.
My contact details are available as a Forum member.

Happy building !!

Tim

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Tim,

I will be down in Sydney from the 4th to the 9th of October (approx 3 weeks away)
I dont know Sydney at all (Will be staying in Darling Harbour, how far out are you?).but if you are ready and will be flipping around that time i am sure i could lend a hand or just have a sticky beak
at your boat...
Are there any good boat stores in Sydney that i sould visit while i am down that way? i am very limited
with resources where i am...

cheers
Jamie

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:02 am

Hi Jamie

It would be good to get together while your down here. My boat should be turned over by then, I hope and you're welcome to come and have a sticky. I'm a builder, just not exactly sure whats happening that week but I'm sure we can work something. I may even be working on the boat ? not sure.
Are you down for work or hols? are you mobile? My boat is at Hornsby, around 45 mins from the city and on the north shore rail line.
We have a pretty good chain of boating stores down here called Whitworths, you can find them on the net to check them out. They are into general boating supplies, not necessarily classic bits but I have found a few good bits eg. sweet drain plugs.
Another outlet in the city that sells great Italian "Foresti & Suardi" boat gear, not sure of their stock but I have purchased via e-mail and you should check out the F & S web site. I have purchased a lot of gear over the net including Glen-l as the dollar is ok at the moment.
How far advanced are you with your boat? love to see some pics. My e-mail is noted on my profile page. Feel free to contact.

Tim

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 am

Jamie

Forgot, no e-mail showing in profile but you could contact through the PM icon

Tim

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:55 pm

One of the biggest steps in forming a Gathering is the actual first decision as to where to have it. When I drove down to Guntersville Alabama the first time and met up with Bill, I had no idea what to expect because I had never been there. But we looked around and Bill was really swinging torward the state park. I saw no reason not to go with that idea and the rest is history.

So what I'm saying is this. If one or 2 people get together and just make a decision and say: "Ok, here's where WE are going to get together," all you have to do after that is just get the word out so that everyone knows they're invited. When Bill, Ken, Bruce, Warren got on board, the whole thing just took on a life of its own. It was really so much easier than one would imagine.

Ha ha, now once you've got all that done, you need to talk the John and Gayle into taking a trip down to Oz. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Dave Grason wrote:One of the biggest steps in forming a Gathering is the actual first decision as to where to have it. When I drove down to Guntersville Alabama the first time and met up with Bill, I had no idea what to expect because I had never been there. But we looked around and Bill was really swinging torward the state park. I saw no reason not to go with that idea and the rest is history.

So what I'm saying is this. If one or 2 people get together and just make a decision and say: "Ok, here's where WE are going to get together," all you have to do after that is just get the word out so that everyone knows they're invited. When Bill, Ken, Bruce, Warren got on board, the whole thing just took on a life of its own. It was really so much easier than one would imagine.

Ha ha, now once you've got all that done, you need to talk the John and Gayle into taking a trip down to Oz. :lol:

We are not over endowed with suitable lakes over here, at least not ones that are available for noisy, smelly mechanical contrivances. There are some ski lakes, but they don't have any real facilities to stay in unless you want to camp out. Hopefully over time somebody will have been to a suitable place and tell us all. The Broadwater
http://www.goldcoasttouristparks.com.au/park/broadwater/location is like a lagoon but is salt water and very popular, perhaps too much so for a gathering. We will figure it out in time. As the Aussies check in, one of them will have an idea.

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:47 pm

It does not take a lake to justify a good ole fashion EBS [Elbow Bending Syposium] of like minds so that you can even pick other peoples minds too. :wink: Afterall you gotta start somewhere and the best way to do this is a planning session over some roo and ale. 8)

Return to “Australia Gathering 2013”