"Down Under" projects/potential gathering register

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

woodenaye

Re: "Down Under" projects/potential gathering register

Post by woodenaye » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Hmmm, may have to 'research' "Speights".
Michael

You can't make strawberry jam (jelly) out of pigs%#t.

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm

What about the Hawkesbury River up near Brooklyn? http://www.estherbeaton.com/stock/Hawke ... index2.htm
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

fruit

Post by fruit » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Trackhappy wrote:This thread might be the forerunner to a Down Under Gathering. If you live in Australia, or potentially the other Australian State :twisted: , New Zealand then please respond with what you are building (with estimated completion date) or have built, and where you are. Also maybe whether your are interested in a gathering, and highlight any potential gathering spots.
Hi mate living in aus but a big BUT from nz what about the game . I are down the gold coast and are building a Riviera like midnight cry , would love to have a beer and have a gathering and see other boats mine is still getting built :mrgreen: fruit

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:12 pm

I am sorry you have a big But... :lol: Maybe lots of sanding will help....

Ahh yes.. the game. I am very pleased the French went down. I still remember the Rainbow Warrior... I am ex-Kiwi as well and even though I don't follow sport, any time the Migthy All Blacks are up I am rooting for them.

At some stage we have to make a decision and commit to a gathering, but we really need to find a good spot and to have a reasonable number to attend. I am really not sure how to go about it without somebody having been to a really good place. Anyhow will keep watching for ideas and hopefully have Gentry ready (or travel if not completed) by the time we are organised. Maybe we could organise a charter boat to take us all over to NZ with our boats and hit one of the lakes...
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

woodenaye

Post by woodenaye » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 am

Hi fruit,

I'm also sorry that you have a big but. :shock:
I is in South Australia, and look forward to the day that we have a great BIG aussie / kiwi hook up. :D
Every time that somebody responds to this thread, WE are getting closer to something really starting to roll. It will be fricken fantastic when it eventuates. :wink:
Cheers All.
Michael

You can't make strawberry jam (jelly) out of pigs%#t.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 am

Hi all,

Just thought that I would throw this out there and see what you all think.... we have a list of aussie builders (Tim Major put together)...... do we add on the side of the list beside our builds our expected date of completion? (Rough indication of course)...

This would allow us to see how many boats would be completed by a given date and give us all a goal to work to......maybe next summer??
We are starting to get quite a few builds happening in Queensland (should be able to have a mini gatheringat some stage also)......

Jamie

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:19 am

Hi Jamie
Just came across your post re list of Aussie Glen-L builders. As you say, I have compiled a list of around 85 Aussie and NZ builders. The list is pretty basic but covers Boat Design, Build Status, Forum User Name, Build Location and Contact details of the listed builders. All information contained in the list was obtained freely from the Glen-L web pages or volunteered by individual builders.

The list has been compiled both in view to an Australia based gathering but also as a means of contact between builders. I've been a little slack lately as I have been away on holiday. Now back I'm in the final throws of finishing my floating sports car so if any new builders would like to be added, or receive a copy of our list, just drop me a line at - timandem (at) tpg.com.au

I don't often visit the Forum so very pleased to see your progress shots. Beautiful work and as you know, I love a tidy workshop but you're taking it to another level mate, well done.

Tim

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:25 am

Are there any builders in the Perth area???? I'm in town until wednesday or so, PM me if we can hook up.

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi Tim,

Can you please add me to the Aussie list..
My Name is Peter Mortimer (Old aussie) I live in Gladstone Qld and I am building the Riveria....

Peter

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Peter

I have added most of your details, taken from previous posts, to the Builders List already but if you could PM me your e-mail contact that would be great.

As you may be aware, I now have 102 listed Glen-L builders (AUS & NZ) which include nearly 40 completed boats. I have been too engrossed in work as well as finishing, now enjoying, my Monaco to do more than keep the builder list up to date. A Gathering is what we are all :| aiming at hopefully in the not too distant future. Personally, I am waiting for Alan & Jamie to finish their boats before putting a lot of serious thought into a Gathering venue. Having said that my venue suggestion though would be somewhere on the Myall or Wallis lake system as this area is quite central on the eastern seaboard. I understand the geographical difficulty for SA & WA builders, quite apart from NZ guys so, of course, It's only a suggestion.

All the best for your Riviera build

Tim
Last edited by Tim Major on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:32 pm

To All Down Under,

I think you're close to a Gathering! Pick a place that you think will draw the most people. You need to set a location and place about a year out. That gives people planning time and build time. Don't worry about completed boats. There is more to learn from unfinished boats than from boats out on the water that you can't get into. Finally just pick and go.

You can't have G2 if you don't have G1.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey Tim,

Can you grab a map of Australia and put dots where there are confirmed members to see the concentrations? That might give us a clue where to start. Then we ecan pick a place near there. Gentry is tralierabvle now so I could go if I hire a tow vehicle.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:27 pm

I better get the Magic Truck with chicken and beer ready for a LOOOOOOONNGGGG drive! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 am

I hope it is waterproof... :lol:

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Old Aussie from Gladstone

Hi , building a Riviera started a couple of weeks ago going ok . last year in november I drove down to Grafton NSW to
have a look at a wooden boat display , it was put on by the (Australian Amateur Boat Builders) it was well worth the
trip , Grafton has the Jacaranda festival on at the same time, I opened my big mouth and said I will be back with a
finished boat in November 2012, Just a thought we could contact them and combine our boats with theres makeing
it bigger and better, Grafton is on the Clarence River a magnificent water way , the boat builders sail up river and
have lunch at the Crown Hotel on Friday and Display the boats to the public on saturday in Corcoran park where the
boat ramp is, just a idea see what everbody thinks about it , I will be going anyway.

Peter,

Return to “Australia Gathering 2013”