jenko

Re: "Down Under" projects/potential gathering register

Postby jenko » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:17 pm

I might be able to check it out after easter

XSiV

Postby XSiV » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi All,

I'm another from Aus Melb. I have plans for the Jacknife and hope to commence building in the near future. Not sure if i'd be finished by October but I'd definitely be up for a get together to meet other Glen-L builders and see their boats. If it's worth anything I think that Lake Mulwala looks pretty good.

Tim, are you still collecting details? Does that tpg email still work I can email you my details. Just let me know what details you need/want.

Al (trekinaway) I'd be very interested in checking out your Aluminum Chinook some day. That was my first choice but my space is a little limited so I thought I might start with something a little smaller.

Cheers

Josh

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:33 am

TeWantin (Noosa) looks good as a backup plan.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/18249650

Check out the satellite photo and zoom in. Looks like good launch and parking.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm

I still feel Port Macquarie would be the best location for everyone as it is as central as we could get. The trouble is suitable accommodation venue. Have a look at "Aquatic Caravan Park". It has everything except a bigger jetty would be better. Perhaps use it as an accommodation venue and use other marina for the daytime activities

Tony from Tiaro
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Agreed, but the year is marching on and if we don't finalise a location it won't happen.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Somebody just has to say "This is it!" You can change the 2nd year. But, you can't have a second year without a 1st. :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Somebody just has to say "This is it!" You can change the 2nd year. But, you can't have a second year without a 1st. :)

Bill

This is it!!!!

October 19th at Port Macquarie. Somebody will have to organise where we can have the boats, and I guess for the first one book whatever accomodation you choose yourself.

Looks like a jetty at the caravan park it will depend on insurance etc. I guess whether that can be done.

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Just sent this off to the Aquatic Marine Park to see what they say:

Hi there,

A few of us in Australia are building boats from a company called Glen-L in the USA. They have an annual gathering over there where like-minded individuals all come to a point and either bring their completed boats or just come for the company and to see completed boats. Here in Australia we have a steadily increasing number of us and have decided to have our very first Australian Glen-L gathering on the weekend of October 19th.

So, first off we need a place where we can stay for a weekend and bring our trailered boats. We really don’t know how many will come, likely about 12 or so for the first one but maybe more. We need parking for the cars with trailers, a launch ramp, and maybe a jetty where the boats can remain in the water tied up for the weekend. Generally they are on show for the public who might be around, and some owners will offer rides to interested people. We are all a low key, friendly bunch, mostly of the mid to senior age bracket. Evenings would be a get together most likely either in a restaurant or around a BBQ if you have such facilities, maybe even on the jetty?

I really don’t know what to ask first, but how about the jetty facilities and potential use for our flotilla?

I am at work so can’t make a toll call, but you can phone me on 0438179334 to discuss. Check out http://www.glen-l.com and search for the Gathering posts in the forum to get an idea of what we are about.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Glenn.

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Here is the link to the aquatic caravan park website http://www.aquaticinport.com.au/
have a look at the photos etc
Tony from Tiaro
Tony Hain

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks Tony. Only issue I can see is maybe access to our boats from the jetty/sea wall. Hopefully they will come back to me with comments, availability over that weekend etc.

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 am

Glen
Here's an other one Jetty beach on Hastings River Boat Ramp welcomes groups http://www.edgewaterholidaypark.com.au/amenities.htm
What do you think
Tony
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 am

Glen
PS
I think the Edgewater place is the best I can find that we can do everything at the one place. The alternative is to book part of the Port Macquarie Marina for during the day but that becomes costly and a pain having to relocate two or three times a day. If we were to go with the Edgewater we could have a better look around while down there for something different next year. Just a thought
Tony
Tony Hain

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks for your efforts, you are doing well. Nobody else is weighing in at present, so I will defer to your sleuthing skills and go with whatever you recommend. I sent off the same request to them for information. See what comes back I guess. :D

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Glen
I guess the next thing we need to do is get an idea of numbers so we can let the chosen site know and book accomodation. Since you have already commenced coms with possible sites would you keep a register of those coming, contacts and boats etc (Please!!!!). My boat will not be finished but if it is on I will be there! That's 1!
Tony from Tiaro
Tony Hain

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Aquatic Park haven't responded, but Edgewater have been on the phoen to me this morning very positive. They have a floating dock that will hold 3-4 boats and a small amnmade beach of soft sand to beach a few more. Good group support, happy to have us, plenty of parking and good facilities. Unfortunately when I got in to work this was waiting for me:
Hi Glenn,
Good to chat to you on the phone this morning.
“We have a small problem Houston”. On this particular weekend we are hosting the Ullyssians Mid North Coast AGM.
We would very much like to host you guys though. Is it possible to change the dates to either 11th or 25th of October ?
Should you be able to do this we will offer your guests/members a 10% discount on their accommodation as a group booking.
At the time of booking they must just mention which group they are with.
Please see our website for accommodation and Facilities.
We are in close proximity of the Panthers Sports club ( within walking distance )and we do have facilities here which you are very much expected to take advantage of.
Boats are also able to pull up on our man made beach on the river bank or use our floating pontoons to tie up.
There is plenty of parking available for boat trailers as in the past we have also hosted bream fishing competitions.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact Colleen or myself.
http://www.edgewaterholidaypark.com.au

So we either change the date or keep looking. 25th sounds ok to me.....

Comments?

Return to “Australia Gathering 2013”