Trip Preparation

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: Trip Preparation

Postby Trackhappy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Not long enough to learn all this !!! :lol:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

mRobin

Postby mRobin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:28 pm

jenko wrote:Bill AU is 240v 60hz (think NZ is the same but not 100% sure)

I don't want to be petty and correct everyone. However I can use my electrical engineering knowledge here.

We are 230 to 240V and 50Hz in Both Aus and NZ. Officially we changed to 230V to align with europe about 10 years ago. however 240V is still more common and accepted.

You shouldnt have too much trouble though most modern electronics are variable voltage so they will accept pretty much any voltage between 100V to 240V and both 50 or 60Hz. Most phone and computer charges are dual voltage now. Here is a picture of my laptop power supply and I have highlighted where it shows the accepted votages and cycles. I think camera chargers have gone this way as well.

2013-07-11 16.09.23.jpg

But Trackhappy is right. Beer is definitely much more important than electricity. :)

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Bill
Not all cute and cuddley. A couple of minutes ago I went out on my verandah to find our resident juvenile carpet snake (A kind of python, about 3 to 4 feet at present) hanging off the gutter trying to swollow a rainbow lorikeet. I wonder if he hasn't bitten off more than he can chew
Tony from Tiaro
snake 006.jpg
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:44 am

Tony

We leave here Oct. 6 for NZ. We're on a tour. The tour ends in Sydney the Sunday before the Gathering. We fly out of Sydney on Oct.29.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Bill
If you and Lauren like seafood then do lunch at Doyles on the Beach when you are in Sydney. You will have to make a reservation and you can Google it to have a look. You catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay which is towards the Heads. Honestly there is nothing more sublime than to have a long boozy lunch on the edge of the beach, looking across Sydney Harbour back towards the city on a sunny spring day. You wouldn't be dead for quids.
Tony from Tiaro
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Bill
P.S. Even if it is not long and boozy, it will still be sublime!
Tony
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Tony

It sure got Lauren's attention. We like that sort of thing.

Thanks,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Yes Dear!!! Lauren wants to know if there is a reasonable place to get opals? She's gotten into making bead jewelry. We'll have some time in Sydney, Canberra, New Castle & Port Mcquirry (sp).

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Bill
There are a couple of Opal stores in "The Rocks" area of Sydney. It is the old part of Sydney under the shadow of the harbour bridge. In the precinct you have the Opera House, Circular Quay(catch the ferries to various parts of the harbour and a must), The Rocks, Sydney Harbour Bridge etc. Yes it is a bit touristy but for a first trip to Sydney you really should go there. It really is one of the greatest harbours in the world. The whole US Pacific Fleet could ride at anchor in it. If you can't do Doyles at Watsons Bay then do the ferry ride over to Manly.
As far as the Opals go you should be able to get them duty free (no tax, ask if they don't mention it). I am not sure of the cost. The stores being in the Rocks could be very competitive or charge like wounded bulls because it is a tourist spot.
As far as your drive up to Port Macquarie. If you are in a hurry take the motorway/freeway, but if you do that you miss the best scenery. If time where ever take the coast roads. New South Wales has some very pretty coast line and as you get away from the big cities some quaint older townships.
Tony

PS Unless you are visiting someone in Canberra I wouldn't allocate a lot of time there. My opinion only!
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Tony

Thanks for the info. We have 4 or 5 days to make a 4 hour drive from Sydney to IAGG. Just trying to plan.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

SeaPea

Postby SeaPea » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:56 am

Bill, all the electrics in NZ are the same as Australia.

The ferry and lunch at Doyles would be highly recommended...actually, ferry and lunch anywhere would be great. Last time back "home" in Sydney we caught a ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour, and there is plenty to see along the short trip with a lot of great restaurants at the end!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:39 pm

It's getting close now. Our "Tour" ends on Sunday the 20th in Sydney. We may spend another day there. I'm trying to decide about renting/hire a car or maybe a train pass and coming up the coast. Maybe a day or two in Newcastle then up to Pt. Mac. for a day or two before IAGG. Then back to Sydney to leave on the 29th.

Any input on which way to go. Rail service is poor here and I'm not familiar with your system.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Bill,
Rail here is pretty poor as well, and distances are long. If you can afford a car and can hack driving on the wrong side of the road I think you will be better off. Not sure what else you want to see, but there is always the Gold Coast and theme parks if you are that way inclined. Brisbane is pretty ordinary, although the river can be nice and you can do a lunchtime cruise on the Paddle wheeler. If you came further up to the Sunshine Coast there is Maleny and Montville, the Ginger Factory, Australia Zoo. Unfortunately I have to be back at work the week after IAGG, but if you are in Brissy during the day you can come see Parliament House and have lunch with me.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Track

Thanks. Right now, I plan to maybe spend another day in Sydney, then Newcastle and on to Port Mac. Side trips of coarse. We'll work back to Sydney to fly out on Tuesday.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Bill
You might want to consider the Hunter Valley. A major Australian winegrowing area with lots of vineyards and cellar door sale and restaurants. About an hour inland from Newcastle. You would want to drive there and stop over the night.
Tony from Tiaro

See you at the gathering.
Tony Hain

Return to “Australia Gathering 2013”