Announcing: Midwest Regional Spring Fling May 10-12 2013

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

vupilot

Re: Announcing: Midwest Regional Spring Fling May 10-12 2013

Postby vupilot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Just to alert those that have not yet made a reservation but want to come. Get your reservations in. Our local boat, sport and travel show starts this week and the Lake Patoka Marina always has a booth and really starts to fill up the openings they have left for the year. So get on the horn and get your reservation made and join us in May for a great time on a wonderful lake.

Details and contact info are located on the first post of this thread

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 am

Just wanted to let you know that unfortunatly we won't be able to attend your gathering. Shortly after you set the date for the gathering I recieved the race schedule for 2013 and we have a race that same weekend. My Daughters and I race R/C hydroplanes. Our local club has ten races per season and we chase points all year long to try to win the annual high point award, so missing just one race puts us out of the running for high point.
Too bad, we were all looking forward to checking out other Glen-L boats, a new lake to boat on and meeting new friends. Jon.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:50 am

Bummer! But I understand, we do the same here with a one design class of radio control sailboats. I was 3rd in the points last year and won a nice plaque.

Thanks for the update. Hope to see ya another time.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 am

Hey Chris.... Do they allow inboard boats on the lake? I would love to attend if I can round up some enthusiastic friends to make the twelve hour trip. Thanks,,,,Neel

jlwright

Postby jlwright » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Any ideas on how many people with boats are going to try to make it? I would really like to come and see some examples of wooden boats. I am still planning on starting a Malahina this summer. It is an 8 hour drive for me. I may check into small airports in the area as well and rent a car. After looking FRH French Lick looks like a good place to leave the plane and rent a car.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:36 am

French Lick is great little airport. You might check with them and see if they have any hangar space available in case of a spring storm.

As of right now we only have two homebuilt boats scheduled. Lil Jon had a schedule conflict and had to pull out. Others have stated they were waiting until closer to the day to decide.

tgauthier

Postby tgauthier » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for putting this together. I will be in California (Santa Rosa area) during that period. So, it does not look like I will be able to make it.

Ted Gauthier

John B

Postby John B » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:19 pm

vupilot wrote:French Lick is great little airport. You might check with them and see if they have any hangar space available in case of a spring storm.

As of right now we only have two homebuilt boats scheduled. Lil Jon had a schedule conflict and had to pull out. Others have stated they were waiting until closer to the day to decide.

Chris,
We just got a phone call here at Glen-L Intergalactic Headquarters asking how large a turnout you expect for this event. I told them that since Glen-L Corporate isn't directly involved he'd get a better idea what to expect if he were to post his question on the forum, but he indicated that he doesn't feel very computer savvy.

This fellow is hesitant to commit to the long drive (for him) to your event unless he can get a better idea of what to expect in the way of turnout.

It might not be a bad idea for all of you planning on attending to start indicating so here on the forum; I suspect that if one person is holding off on committing because he's not seeing a lot of activity here, there are probably others in a "wait and see" holding pattern too.

Good luck! Wish we could attend.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 pm

John,

I just decided this year that I am going to start going there and renting a floating cabin at Lake Patoka each spring with some family and thought it would be fun to invite any and all that want to join.

As its looking right now there really isnt going to be much activity this year it looks like. I didnt realize when I planned it that it is over Mothers day weekend. Oppps! We lost two that had schedule conflicts with other interests. The Michigan group wont be making it either. So what may have been about 6 groups and 7-8 boats at its peak is now just me and my family and a co-worker and his family and just our boats. So if you have that gents phone number you might call him back and tell him so.

I plan to do the same trip spring of 2014 and will make sure I dont pick mothers day weekend next time.

-Chris

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 am

IMG_20130511_130913.jpg

We are having a nice weekend down on Patoka Lake in southern Indiana. Attendence is a bit low being mothers day weekend however. The cabins are very nice and have standard toilets, something those that have been to the Gathering at Hales Bar can appreciate! Full size fridge/stove and 3 queen beds in our 3bdrm cabin. Here is a cell phone picture.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat May 11, 2013 10:49 am

Chris

I had hoped to make a surprise appearance. It just didn't work out. Damn retirement is busy.

My mother died a few years ago. I do get a kick out of your mom. I loved what she did with Vlad! That was funny!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Look's like fun!!! Maybe next year.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am

Glad you had a nice time, Chris. You have to start somewhere with these get-togethers...
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon May 13, 2013 12:19 pm

It really is a great place. The cabins come stocked with everything, they are very clean and up to date. The service from the marina that rents them was great. For example in one instance we found that the gas grill outside cabin didnt work properly and would not get very hot. In 5 minutes the marina had a brand new grill brought down from storage already assembled and ready to go even though all 6 other cabins had grills and we could have used one of them. The staff was great at checking if we needed anything but not being around too much.

We traveled the entire lake in two boats saturday afternoon with the 10 people present. It took about 2.5 hours going from one end to the other and down and back the major coves, so its large enough to keep you entertained for a couple days cruising different places. There are two marina's with fuel and ship stores, plenty of RV and camping spots and 4 very nice boat ramps so you can always find one thats out of the wind. Since it is located in a national forest there are no houses on shore so that keeps water traffic down, also the water is still very cool this time of year so most of the boat traffic is fishing boats and pontoon boats which is great for those of us with smaller boats that dont like rough water. The cabins are surrounded by no wake zone and located between the marina slips and the shore so the boats never get rocked by wakes while tied up to the dock. The only downside is that your view is mostly of the marina slips so you cant see the boats on the water from the cabins very well but the cabin on the end of the dock has a nice view out the channel toward the lake.

If more people and boats will attend I'm ready to go back next spring and Tim from KY is building a Ken Basset Rascal is said he is ready also. If there is enough interest we'll plan on next year so please post if you are interested.

DSCN1939.JPG

DSCN1981.JPG

DSCN1969.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 pm

View from marina/ship store 15 min parking lot. Boat/trailer parking lot is behind and floating cabins are down the hill to left.
DSCN1936.JPG

One of the boat ramps. Each had parking space for more than 50 trucks/trailers.
DSCN1940.JPG

Bunkhouse on top of hill has a couple hotel like rooms and banquet room. Gary's 25' Mariah docked in Bunkhouse slip.
DSCN1952.JPG

Return to “Midwest Regional Spring Fling 2013”