2014 Gathering G-8

News from the great Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

2014 Gathering G-8

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm

We didn't commit to Hales Bar before we left. I told them that we would probably come the same weekend. The attendance was down some, hopefully weather. We wanted some more input from the forum before we commit.

I'm good with the location and weekend myself. Any input?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bergy

Re: 2014 Gathering G-8

Postby Bergy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:13 pm

It's good with us too Bill. BTW, the lake looks like glass today! I'll post links to the video Laura shot under 'Squall at G7'.

Howard
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

ashespap

Postby ashespap » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Bill

Leda and I are good with the same weekend next year. We are good with almost any weekend because we are fortunate that we only live 2 easy hours away.

We had a GREAT time and we really appreciated the boat rides and the information and food that was freely shared.

Thanks to all of you whom we met. Looking forward to next year already. :D

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Anytime after Labor Day is OK. Making the date all depends on what things pop up that have to take priority.

While it didn't deter our spirit or enjoyment of the event, I was very disappointed in the maintenance and condition of the facilities at Hales Bar. The bumpers were down or missing on the docks. I got some gouges in my hull from contact with some nail heads. Several lights didn't work or were missing bulbs, the TV remote didn't work, the cook top burner didn't work, and the toilet plugged up on a regular basis. The thing also didn't float level. For what I consider a fairly high price for the room, it was sub par. While I don't have any immediate alternatives, I would like to suggest we look for slightly better facilities.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm

I agree with Bob. I think we should look for something less problematic. There doesn't seem to be enough concern on the owners part to properly care for the place.

Roberta :roll:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bergy

Postby Bergy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

I would have agreed with Bob the first two years we attended, however this year was better, and we pretty much had the run of the dock. I don't mind paying more for better facilities, but it might discourage some from attending.

Bob, I think you got the cabin Roger and I had last year. Just add it stunk to high heaven!

Howard
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:00 pm

We had the same cabin the last 3 yrs and they had installed a real toilet in place of the marine one this year. I think ours was near the last converted as many had them last year. It didn't smell as a result and they don't have to use the tank barge to pump them out so that is also a plus. If they could change some lightbulbs and install new dock bumpers I'd be quite pleased.

Its a heck of a job to find a place with enough cabins, RV and camping options on smooth but large waterways.

I'm good with anytime late Sept. Perhaps we should check the bass tournament schedule though to avoid both groups trying to get the floating cabins.
Last edited by vupilot on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:15 pm

I really agree that they could do a bit better for the price! We have looked a lot in the past. It is very hard to find another option that has the options and doesn't price people out.

We had a lot of light bulbs out, too. They did have T-paper and soap this year. :roll:

I think for next year we may need to do Hales Bar again. But, If someone can come up with a good option for 2015, I'm game to look at it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:26 pm

I agree with you, too, Chris and Bill. It has a lot to offer. Maybe if we express some concerns to the owners, we could get them to keep improving things. It is better than it was. The broken lights and bulbs could certainly be fixed. Our bathroom facet broke the first day and was never repaired. I just think the owner needs to get more help and take an interest in seeing things are kept up. I don't mind the price they charge, but it could be better maintained. I've stayed in better cared for places for a lot less. I think the lady who ran the desk, changed out linen, and was cleaning the rooms worked very hard and was extremely accommodating. She really needs more help.

Roberta :?
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:51 pm

The things it needs to be great are really quite basic. I will bring my own dock bumpers next year. I used every screw I brought re-attaching fallen parts of the dock bumpers that were hanging into the water.
Tony at the ship store told us the asking price was 5.9 Million for the marina and all the land if anyone is interested.

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm good with Hales Bar again next year same date.

David

Two J's

Postby Two J's » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:26 pm

First of all Ruthie and I had a great time with all our new friends at G-7. I want to especially thank Bob for the wonderful ride in his boat up the river. We plan on being back next year and the date is not a concern to us. I can add that the RV area at Hale's Bar is not great but is adequate and we would stay there again if we needed to. Next year I think we will try to rent a cabin so as to be near everyone. Thanks again to all.

Jim

red

Postby red » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:00 pm

glad everyone had a great time although we didn't get to make it this (which really stinks but couldn't be helped ) the date is good with us but hearing that there is still the same issues as last year is a little concerning and if we could find a similar place for the same money I wouldn't mind moving locations

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:43 pm

The weather this year was just a fluke. Well..... actually, we've been sort of on borrowed time because we've had good weather ever since we moved the Gs up into September. I guess it was, sooner or later, bound to happen that we'd get some rain and wind. So, I'm with Dave Barrett. I want to come back to Hale's Barr.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:19 am

Any dates are fine with me... It seems like we need someone to interact with the marina management, and I would be more than happy to do that. Sounds like most of the complaints could be fixed with very little effort and expense to Hales Bar. Although the place is a little run down and in need of attention, it is the perfect place for what we do. I vote to go back for G-8, and maybe try to find something else for 2015. Craig and I stopped at Halesford Marina/Hotel/RV park at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. on the way down this year and last. Take a look at it on line. It is a possibility, but we would have to take over the whole dock. It is a much nicer facility than Hales Bar, and probably around the same price range.

Let's decide on a date and I will go to work on Hales Bar management. I will keep everyone up to date on the response. I think we can eliminate most of the concerns. After all, we do spend a lot of money there, and probably on a weekend they would be pretty dead. We do have some leverage here....

We had a great time this year and looking forward to next.

All Take Care,,,,,Neel

Return to “Gathering 2014, Sept. 19-21, Guild, Tennessee”