2014 Gathering G-8

News from the great Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: 2014 Gathering G-8

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't want to sound negative. Lauren says I good at it.

We've looked at many potential locations.

Kentucky/Berkley Lake were very nice. They had some nice places that were expensive and had narrow lake views. You could not see the boats run.

Table Rock at Branson is a beautiful lake. The access is difficult.

Chattanooga was mentioned. The river is narrow and the current is strong. That is tough of the little boats. Limited RV and camping.

Lake Norris is a small tight lake which is not good for the sailboats. There is no cruise run available.

Lake Eufaula, on the AL/GA line adds lots of distance to our northern group. It's shallow with lots of stumps and bass boat heaven.

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach AL is also more distance. Many people don't want their boats in saltwater.

It's a difficult question.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

matt167

Post by matt167 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Only suggestion I could make is The Sherwood Inn on Skaneatles lake in the NY Finger lakes. I know they have a 1946 Chris Craft which they use for tours, but I'm not sure how much dock space they have.. No clue how accommodating they would be other than they do have an interest in vintage boats

Skaneatles Vacation rentals also has lake front condo's and dockage.. There is no camping in the area tho. It may be more extravagant than needed.. Skaneatles is a pristine lake about 9k acres. Fishermen generally shy away as it's hard to get a boat cleared to go in the water. IIRC the lake has No invasive species

http://www.thesherwoodinn.com/
http://www.skaneatelesvacationrentals.com/

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:11 pm

This came up a couple of years ago: our lake, Chatuge, hosts an ACBS event each June. The Ridges Resort is lakeside with a hotel, condos, 2-3 restaurants and a marina. Each rental comes with a covered boat slip. Last year, the built a really large floating dock for weddings and such. That could be used for a large gathering of people. There are several nearby campgrounds, but none at the resort. There is no river to cruise up or down unless you like white water. Also, late Sept is when TVA starts to lower the level and that water winds up in the TN River. It is also in the mountains and for some, it may be a tough tow up steep curvy roads depending on which direction you come from. It is 13-miles long and can get a little rough on weekends. It is also a couple of hours east of HB.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

noterman

Post by noterman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:17 pm

I've never been there, but has anyone checked out Dale Hollow Lake on the TN/KY border?

Bill Wheeler

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:53 am

I am sure there are many great places out there for our event, but, other than the fact that HB needs some upgrading and attention, it will be hard to find a place that has as much in one place that accommodates what we do. I am in favor of concentrating on HB for 2014 and checking out other possible locations for the future.

I think we should lock in HB for 9/19/14 to 9/21/14 and Make reservations as soon as possible so we can take the place over!!! They don't wack your credit card till you show up, and they have a very loose cancellation policy.

I will follow up with management about upgrades and repairs, so if there are any others that haven't been mentioned so far, fire away.

What do you say? Thoughts?

All Take Care,,,, Neel

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:22 am

I think that it was not all that bad. If some of the problems were fixes then that would be a step in the right direction.
On the other hand if they don't make any improvements then you have another year of thing going to the dogs.
It is what it is a fishing cabin.
I think that if the weather had been like it was on Thursday when we arrived all maybe some of the things that were wrong with the cabins would not have bothered us.
I know that the problem we had with the breaker they came 2 times right away to fix it. The second time was after hours on sat night.
They seemed willing to get it corrected. I hope that if others had a problem they called to get them fixed.
Would there be any reason not to move the dates back a week or too in Sept. so it might be a little warmer?
Any way with that said I am in for next wear at HB.
Jeff

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 am

If we move it up it can end up the weekend after Labor Day. We did that last year and that is difficult for those who have jobs.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

noterman

Post by noterman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:37 am

I'm fine with HB for 2014. As far as the weather goes, It is what it is... I'm not sure 2-3 weeks would make much difference. It did when we lived in Michigan, not so much now that we live in Tennessee.

Bill Wheeler

red

Post by red » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 am

not to be an a#@# but all of this has been said and discussed with them from the fist gathering there just go back to 2010,2011,2012,posts about gathering feed back and now 2013 I guess what Im saying is they are probably not going to fix anything the only thing that has been adressed is the grass and that was probably done by the TVA so we are just going to have to adapt to the way it is (i.e. bring the things you need tp pots and pans sheets ect....) and just do your own cleaning when you arrive . That being said the location with the dock and cabins in a line the way they are is a great set up for the way we do the gathering and would be hard to find something else like it

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:51 am

I just got off the phone with Courtney at HB. I reserved Land Cabin #7 for next year. I told her that I would like to be able to talk to someone in charge to get some things straightened out for G-8, and she wants to be the point of contact. I told her I would send her an email with compliments as well as complaints. She has already brought many items to management's attention. She got the info from Tony (Ship's Store), who has been monitoring our Forum. I will be checking in down there on the Monday before the Gathering and told her I would like to check out every cabin, just to make sure all is good. I will post a copy of the email on this thread when it goes out. In the mean time, let's make sure we get all of our concerns posted. I will wait a week or so before going into action. I know this has been tried in the past Red, but it can't hurt to try again. Since I finished building my boat, I have nothing to do and all day to do it... Time will tell!!! ..Neel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Neel

As always! Thanks.

It must be a lot better than the first year! There are much fewer complaints this year and my wife hasn't added any about the place. :roll: Ours was clean, had soap and T-Paper. It mostly attention to details.

They are the ones that have to deal with the Milfoil. And, it was the best it has been this year.

Tony had the store stocked pretty well. I didn't have to leave to get beer. Maybe we could may a list of items for him next year and he could be ready. Just a thought.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 am

Bill, the store was stocked better this year and certainly there was plenty of beer. In addition, Tony can have a keg delivered if we need it.
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Bergy

Good to know! Takes one issue out of the mix!

It's great to see new people stepping up and checking into things. With some of our people experiencing life, It's great to have new people stepping up to the plate.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:04 pm

noterman wrote:I've never been there, but has anyone checked out Dale Hollow Lake on the TN/KY border?
I've been there many times. It's a breathtakingly beautiful place! But then, virtually all the lakes in Tennessee are equally beautiful - Center Hill, Watts Barr, Norris, Cherokee, Tellico, Fort Loudon, the list just goes on and on and on. (Ok, Cordell Hull is really kinda ugly as is Cheatham lake.) While these lakes are really pretty, they are no prettier than Nickajack. But Nickajack has the advantage of being located on the Tennessee river. This means that if the Gathering attendees wanted to organize a river trip, it could be easily done either upstream - Chattanooga and Knoxvillle or downstream - Guntersville and beyond.

But Nickajack also has Hale's Bar and this is the one place with the floating cabins that no one else has. This place just keeps bringing the most to the party.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:13 pm

I have to agree with Dave. The ride up to Chattanooga is beautiful and the lunch at the brewpub hard to beat. The cabins being on the dock is a great plus and really makes the gathering a special place. Until we find something like Hales Bar (but less problems), we should just stick it out, unless things get really bad. It seems most intolerable things have been fixed and the other things are more of an inconvenience.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Gathering 2014, Sept. 19-21, Guild, Tennessee”