Just Me

News from the great Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Jimmy70

Just Me

Postby Jimmy70 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi Gang
I just wanted to let you know I am still alive and kicking and working on my 78th birthday in August. I been doing pretty good on dialysis and doing 4 days a week right now and keeping the blood clean from the monthly reports. I did kind of crash at the end of March as my iron level feel off of the charts and I felt like I was walking around with one foot in the grave most of the time. I had another clinic a few days ago and the doctor gave me a mini iron shot and that helped some to get me perked up but in the mean time without enough iron in the blood to carry oxygen my eyesight started going dim. I went to the eye doctor and she said that is quite normal if you don't have enough iron in the blood. NO DAMAGE DONE SO FAR TO THE EYES. So I will get a small shot of iron once a week for the next 5 weeks to get me back into fighting shape...I tried a larger dose about 1.5 years ago and it made me super sick....so taking the mini does seems to work, just to damn slow.

I tried cranking up the boat engine and getting to the drink for a run and do some fishing but from letting it set around to long and not draining the carbs like I should have I had to pull them off today and go thru them. Two of them were pretty gunked up too. So hopefully in a day or so I can go for a spin. Never learn from hard knocks, huh????

I know I won't make the run to the meeting this year but sure wish that I could and have a cool one with all of you good dudes.
Hope all of you are in good health and stay that away.
Jim Gilbert
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

slug

Re: Just Me

Postby slug » Thu May 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Funny thing Jimmy; I was just wondering the other day why we hadn't heard from you.
Good to hear you're still alive and kickin :D

Doug

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm

8) Glad to hear you are still kicking I was wondering you give me hope I am sixty and in pretty bad heath then I think there is Jimmy even with all that he has on his plate he is still doing it. wish you the best :wink: :D
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Jimmy

Glad that you're ok! Wish you could come to G8. But, we understand.

Take care my friend,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Fri May 02, 2014 2:35 am

slug wrote:Funny thing Jimmy; I was just wondering the other day why we hadn't heard from you.
Good to hear you're still alive and kickin :D

Doug

Me too!!
I was about to search for missing forum members.
Good to hear from you.
Are you building any guitars?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:55 am

I did not build any guitars last year but did build 3 mandolins. I still got two of them hanging in the shop that need the finish done up right. I have one guitar that I built about 3 years ago and had to reset the neck as I done a bad job getting it in place right the first time. Then to top it off I mixed two different brands of lacquer and it did not like the results of that. So now I have to remove the finish and redo the whole guitar once again. I said to hell with it and just hung it up until later this year and will start the clean up process which is a pain for sure. Oh well live and learn.

A lot of my time has been getting the garden going this year and fighting the fusarium disease that kills off the tomato plants just when they start to ripen up. I bought some chemical that is suppose to work so sprayed the soil and tilled it good and done that three times in hopes it kills the bad bugs that causes this to happen. I will see what happens over this year. I did dig me another plot for tomatoes away from the main garden to see if that will work ok. I got 8 tomato plants in the old garden spot so those will be my test for the year and see if the chemicals work or not.

Now I need to get those carbs cleaned up and rebuilt and installed on the engine for a test run.
Jimmy70
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 am

Jimmy-
great to hear that you are still kickin around and doing some lutherie and gardening!
what are you using for lacquer? i've been using Sherwin Williams water white for years, but hate the stuff since they went with the water base for a solvent.
hope you sort those carbs and get back out on the water! just went thru that here with a couple of my boats. seems like i learn that lesson over again every few years too. :lol:
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 am

Great to hear from you, Jimmy!!! I, too, was wondering about you lately and was about to ask if anyone has heard from you. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

John B

Postby John B » Fri May 02, 2014 8:38 am

Jimmy,

Best wishes to you from all of us here at Glen-L Central!

In the immortal words of Spock...Live long and prosper!
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 am

Great to hear from you Jimmy. Everyday I see your name in front of me with the cozy on my water bottle. Keep the boat upright and plow away.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon May 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi Jimmy, thanks for popping in to let us know how you're doing! I've wondered too for the past many months; you were pretty scarce on here. You've been an inspiration to all of us that whatever comes our way, the key should be a good attitude and just keep on chuggin' away! Good to hear from you...
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Return to “Gathering 2014, Sept. 19-21, Guild, Tennessee”