AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Discussion/planning for the 2nd Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders in Australia

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

User avatar
jenko
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Pine Mountain . Vic . Australia
Contact:

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby jenko » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 am

lake macquarie looks good

User avatar
Aussie
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: Sarina Queensland Building 23ft Belle Isle

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Aussie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Tim......
Yes those are two places that i was also looking at....looks like a few boats would fit at the jetty....i will make a phone call in the next couple of days to find out the size of the jetty and and ask about the boat ramp in the area.....looks like a nice spot for cruising too.....
Jamie

Tim Major
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Tim Major » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Jamie and Peter

It's been a little while since I was on the Forum last. Not sure if I've missed some up to date posts, how are your boats progressing ?

We had great weather at Alan's formal launch recently.
IMG_0302.JPG

Good to catch up with Jeff and his Monaco build also.
IMG_0346.JPG

(Alan & Jeff)

User avatar
jenko
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Pine Mountain . Vic . Australia
Contact:

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby jenko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 am

Tim thanks for asking ,.
Alan's Monaco is looking great and Jeff's is also.
I have been slowly plugging away at the Riviera ,got a bit bogged down with seats and interior layout, seems to take forever,there is always another thing you haven't taken in to account. Still haven't put the deck on but should be tackling that in the next couple of weeks, I am waiting on a water pump and a few other cooling bits, and fuel tank.Then I can finish wiring and plumbing fit the deck cut the hatch out, remove the engine to put the shaft log on with sealant,forgot in my haste to see if the engine fitted ,then make a trailer . so in short my not be ready for AG2 .If funds sufficient might get the trailer and tow unfinished boat to AG2 .

Tim Major
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Tim Major » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for the update Pete,

Yes, the interior fit-out is certainly a large part of the build and we have all forgotten to do something along the way requiring the engagement of "reverse"...just part of the build process.

It would be great to see your boat in whatever state of completion you are at, at the time.

Tim

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 pm

:) I'm glad to see you guys following through with another Gathering! You now know how great the friendships that are made. I'm so glad to have been part of AG1.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ozzieboat
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:40 am
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Ozzieboat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 am

Gents, another possibility.
Having stayed there several times, but many years ago I contacted Blue Dolphin Holiday Resort at Yamba. See www.bluedolphin.com.au Yamba is on the southern side at the mouth of the Clarence River. The specific questions I put to the receptionist were, is there a pontoon/jetty next to the boat ramp? Yes, the private ramp is right next to the jetty (shown on their web site). Is there secure parking within the resort? Yes, our size boats, 6-7 metres can be parked next to each cabin. Another point of interest is that on Saturday, 26 November, the Wooden Boat Association hold a display as part of the Jacaranda Festival at Grafton, so the boats could be taken to the display. (By road, not on water as it is 66kms upstream)

Tony Hain
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Queensland Australia

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Blue dolphin at Yamba seems to tick all the boxes. In two minds about doing the same weekend as the Grafton festival!
Tony
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Trackhappy
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Blue Dolphin looks to be the best of what we have found so far. as for the Wooden Boat festival, I guess we can add to its value and as we are not so much about providing a public display it won't affect us too much unless any of our members want to go to that exclusively, but if only the Saturday it shouldn't be an issue.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Blue Dolphin looks like a hit to me.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Response from Blue Dolphin below. I have a full pdf quote if anybody wants it emailed just let me know.
Note that the Jacaranda Festival Wooden Boat display is on 2nd November so not sure of dates now.
http://www.jacarandafestival.org.au/events.htm

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for allowing the Blue Dolphin Holiday Resort the opportunity to submit the attached accommodation proposal for the Glen-L Wooden Boat Builders' 2014 reunion.
3 Bedroom Waterview Unit (Twin Share) $220 per night
2 Bedroom Waterfront Spa Villa (Twin Share) $190 per night
2 Bedroom Villa (Twin Share) $155 per night
1 Bedroom Villa (Twin Share) $120 per night
1 Bedroom Holiday Cabin (Twin Share) $100 per night
1 Bedroom Ensuite Cabin (Twin Share) $90 per night
1 Bedroom Standard Cabin (Twin Share) $80 per night

Berths are $15 per berth per day, and locked at night.

Please find included date and room type options for your review. In regards to your below questions;
· Parking for your trailers - As we have 150 camp sites, and during the time period of the quote they will not be fully booked, we have plenty of space to allow cars with trailers to park within the resort.
· Gathering Room - We have a complementary camp kitchen that you could utilise as your gathering space. Alternatively we do have a conference room that could be hired for the price of $400 for the day. This options would allow more privacy for the group.
· Booking Procedure - This will depend on the groups preferred method of payment. Should the group be paid by one company or individual, you are able to reserve the total amount of rooms and 1 person be the contact. We would require them to pay a % deposit and also a credit card guarantee to cover the cancellation policy. In the case that the guests attending are to be responsible for the payment of their own rooms, its best that each individual calls to place their booking, providing their own credit card for the deposit payment. The required amount in this case is 1 nights tariff per room.

Should you wish to discuss the proposal or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on the below details.

I look forward to your response.
Kind Regards,
Danielle Mitchell
General Manager