jenko

Re: AG2 Gathering - Where this year?

Postby jenko » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 am

lake macquarie looks good

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Tim......
Yes those are two places that i was also looking at....looks like a few boats would fit at the jetty....i will make a phone call in the next couple of days to find out the size of the jetty and and ask about the boat ramp in the area.....looks like a nice spot for cruising too.....
Jamie

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Jamie and Peter

It's been a little while since I was on the Forum last. Not sure if I've missed some up to date posts, how are your boats progressing ?

We had great weather at Alan's formal launch recently.
IMG_0302.JPG

Good to catch up with Jeff and his Monaco build also.
IMG_0346.JPG

(Alan & Jeff)

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 am

Tim thanks for asking ,.
Alan's Monaco is looking great and Jeff's is also.
I have been slowly plugging away at the Riviera ,got a bit bogged down with seats and interior layout, seems to take forever,there is always another thing you haven't taken in to account. Still haven't put the deck on but should be tackling that in the next couple of weeks, I am waiting on a water pump and a few other cooling bits, and fuel tank.Then I can finish wiring and plumbing fit the deck cut the hatch out, remove the engine to put the shaft log on with sealant,forgot in my haste to see if the engine fitted ,then make a trailer . so in short my not be ready for AG2 .If funds sufficient might get the trailer and tow unfinished boat to AG2 .

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for the update Pete,

Yes, the interior fit-out is certainly a large part of the build and we have all forgotten to do something along the way requiring the engagement of "reverse"...just part of the build process.

It would be great to see your boat in whatever state of completion you are at, at the time.

Tim

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 pm

:) I'm glad to see you guys following through with another Gathering! You now know how great the friendships that are made. I'm so glad to have been part of AG1.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 am

Gents, another possibility.
Having stayed there several times, but many years ago I contacted Blue Dolphin Holiday Resort at Yamba. See www.bluedolphin.com.au Yamba is on the southern side at the mouth of the Clarence River. The specific questions I put to the receptionist were, is there a pontoon/jetty next to the boat ramp? Yes, the private ramp is right next to the jetty (shown on their web site). Is there secure parking within the resort? Yes, our size boats, 6-7 metres can be parked next to each cabin. Another point of interest is that on Saturday, 26 November, the Wooden Boat Association hold a display as part of the Jacaranda Festival at Grafton, so the boats could be taken to the display. (By road, not on water as it is 66kms upstream)

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Blue dolphin at Yamba seems to tick all the boxes. In two minds about doing the same weekend as the Grafton festival!
Tony
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Blue Dolphin looks to be the best of what we have found so far. as for the Wooden Boat festival, I guess we can add to its value and as we are not so much about providing a public display it won't affect us too much unless any of our members want to go to that exclusively, but if only the Saturday it shouldn't be an issue.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Blue Dolphin looks like a hit to me.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Response from Blue Dolphin below. I have a full pdf quote if anybody wants it emailed just let me know.
Note that the Jacaranda Festival Wooden Boat display is on 2nd November so not sure of dates now.
http://www.jacarandafestival.org.au/events.htm

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for allowing the Blue Dolphin Holiday Resort the opportunity to submit the attached accommodation proposal for the Glen-L Wooden Boat Builders' 2014 reunion.
3 Bedroom Waterview Unit (Twin Share) $220 per night
2 Bedroom Waterfront Spa Villa (Twin Share) $190 per night
2 Bedroom Villa (Twin Share) $155 per night
1 Bedroom Villa (Twin Share) $120 per night
1 Bedroom Holiday Cabin (Twin Share) $100 per night
1 Bedroom Ensuite Cabin (Twin Share) $90 per night
1 Bedroom Standard Cabin (Twin Share) $80 per night

Berths are $15 per berth per day, and locked at night.

Please find included date and room type options for your review. In regards to your below questions;
· Parking for your trailers - As we have 150 camp sites, and during the time period of the quote they will not be fully booked, we have plenty of space to allow cars with trailers to park within the resort.
· Gathering Room - We have a complementary camp kitchen that you could utilise as your gathering space. Alternatively we do have a conference room that could be hired for the price of $400 for the day. This options would allow more privacy for the group.
· Booking Procedure - This will depend on the groups preferred method of payment. Should the group be paid by one company or individual, you are able to reserve the total amount of rooms and 1 person be the contact. We would require them to pay a % deposit and also a credit card guarantee to cover the cancellation policy. In the case that the guests attending are to be responsible for the payment of their own rooms, its best that each individual calls to place their booking, providing their own credit card for the deposit payment. The required amount in this case is 1 nights tariff per room.

Should you wish to discuss the proposal or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on the below details.

I look forward to your response.
Kind Regards,
Danielle Mitchell
General Manager
(02) 6646 2194
http://www.bluedolphin.com.au
P.O Box 21, Yamba, NSW 2464
Fax - (02) 6646 2274

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, 23 April 2014 10:12 AM

To: Blue Dolphin

Subject: Bookings weekend 26th 27th November

Hi there,

We are having our second gathering of Glen-L wooden boat builders in Australia. Last year approximately 25 people came and5-6 boats. This year we are hoping for more. We need good access to docking facilities, launching ramp, parking for our trailers, a gathering area for our eating requirements and obviously good water access. We are looking at the weekend of 26/27 November with some people coming in Friday 25th potentially.

Are you able to accommodate us? Could you please send a list of available cabins for those dates so I can tell our interested people? When would you need confirmed bookings? Any discounts for such a group? We might take our boats up to the Grafton festival on the Saturday but Sunday if there is any public interest we could display our boats.

Thanks,

Glenn Simpson.

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Trackhappy
Sorry, must have been my typo on the Grafton Wooden Boat event date, as I was hinting the weekend of the 1-3 November when I spoke with the Blue Dolphin Resort. The weekend of the 9-10 November is already booked for a Hotrod car group. I will be attending the Noosa Classic on the 25th October.
ozzieboat

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Well, if nobody else has any input, shall we lock in 1-3 November at the Blue Dolphin?

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Glen...just wondering if Blue Water was going to offer any discount for the gathering members.....i will be happy with location but am bringing the whole tribe this year....might need some rates for additional persons..kids for the room rates.....
Jamie

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Have asked them to confirm that weekend is available, and if the price they quoted was including a group booking discount. Will also ask about kids rates, but possibly need individuals to contact them directly to verify details once we have it set.

I have put all the builders that responded into Google Earth and apart from the Perth based builder, the Blue Dolphin is almost perfectly centered between our most remote people. If anybody wants the file out of interest, either email me or pm me your email and I'll send it. It has no real detail in there so hopefully no privacy issues.

Return to “Australia Gathering Version 2.0”