Upholstery for the Beginner

All things related to upholstering your boat.

Moderator: billy c

billy c

Re: Upholstery for the Beginner

Postby billy c » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 am

Jeff, I upholstered a few pieces of furniture and made a few mooring covers with a heavy duty machine. I knew an industrial machine with a walking foot would be needed to do the welt and detail so got that for the boat project. Thought I might do a few more things with it and ended up not knowing what to do without it.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 am

Your upholstery saga sounds almost identical to mine, including watching sailrite's videos. And, my guy came through and he is starting next week. I've learned I have to do something 3 times to level my learning curve, and I prefer to farm out the upholstery. I hope it all works out!
Brad Tucker
Freeing a Tahoe23 from its lumber prison..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tucker-W ... 973?ref=hl

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 am

Brad, I met the guy last night that hopefully will be doing my upholstery. He looked at the boat and I talked with him enough to know that he knows what he's doing. Hopefully he comes through and does a great job. But I mention this to you because you might also use him for your work if your person doesn't come through and this is quick story of why.

He's from Baton Rouge and had an upholstery business here. About 15 to 20 years ago, Louisiana voted in a great tax incentive for television and motion picture companies to make films here. This was lucrative for many people and he closed his shop and began working with various film companies making movie sets. About a year ago, Louisiana did away with the tax incentives and all the movie/filmmaking business moved to Georgia who voted in lucrative tax incentives for them. This guy now spends about half his time in Atlanta working with the film industry because it's pretty much dried up here. So, he'll be at a location near you at least part of the year.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:36 am

Thanks for the information. The guy doing mine should be starting next week. I'm kind of glad there was a delay, because it resulted in my watching the Sailrite videos. That have me enough information to ask the right questions. He has made 2 trips to see the boat.
Brad Tucker
Freeing a Tahoe23 from its lumber prison..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tucker-W ... 973?ref=hl

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:46 am

Brad Tucker wrote:Thanks for the information. The guy doing mine should be starting next week. I'm kind of glad there was a delay, because it resulted in my watching the Sailrite videos. That have me enough information to ask the right questions. He has made 2 trips to see the boat.

Yes. making the proper form and pattern allowances for the cushions, seat backs and ceilings is really required for a great upholstery job. Glad you found someone able to work with you too. Get some pictures of the process too as it will help others who might want to DIY
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Upholstery”