Upholstery for the Beginner

All things related to upholstering your boat.

Moderator: billy c

BayouBengal

Re: Upholstery for the Beginner

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. I'm happy with the upholstery, but mainly just happy to finally have upholstery. The seamstress did a great job with the stitching. Even though my upholsterer fell through because he had to go out of state for his regular job, he gave me a lot of good advice, tips, and coaching as to how to do the foam and that was tremendously helpful. (Brad Tucker, he's back in Atlanta if you want to contact him)

The reason I say that it's not quite professional in places is that my foam cuts are a little wavy so the lines aren't as clean as they should be, especially the first couple that I did. Like everything else we do, about the time we figure out some of the tricks of the trade, we're finished. But one of the main things I learned that I can pass on is that if you put 40 grit sandpaper on a longboard, it will do a decent job of fairing the foam, taking out the waviness or jaggedness from a not so good job of cutting the foam.

slug

Postby slug » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:23 pm

I found the best way to accurately cut foam is with the bandsaw.
Doug

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am

Outstanding! This gives me real confidence that I can accomplish this on my build eventually. I've been following you build for some time and really like what you've done with the interior. When it comes right down to it, it's the interior where we spend most of our time and the nicer the better. This is what I am shooting for. Thanks for the update Jeff and great job!

On a slightly different note, how did you end up cutting the foam? Sailrite says the best way is a carving knife (powered). I imagine a hot wire would also work great. I think somewhere in my saved references I have an article about making a hot wire cutter.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I used an electric knife for some of it, and a bread knife for other parts of it. The professional upholsterers all seem to do as Slug suggested, cut it with a band saw, but I don't have one. In a few cases, cutting with a band saw would have been advantageous because it would have given me a square edge, but in most cases, I was actually trying to cut the edge at an angle. Truth is, I'm just not much of a cutter, I have a hard time cutting a square edge with a miter saw (if that's possible :) ).

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Wow I love it. Amazing work. It really finishes the boat off beautifully.
Well done.

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:50 pm

...don't forget batting fabric goes over the foam and removes irregularities. Batting also fills out the rounded edges when you are stretching naugahide around a curved form.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Great work. I decided to separate from my upholstery guy after "2 weeks" turned into 2 months with him working on my stuff as an apparent afterthought, and a substandard job on anything that wasn't a flat panel. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to attempt it myself as well. The biggest hurdle will be the front 2 seats. I basically have those, the seat bases, and the whole back seat to do (the only stuff that requires sewing).

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Post pics of what you have and what you're trying to get to. I'll help out any way that I can. Billy C and Slug seem to have quite a bit of experience and I'm sure they'll help, too. You can do it and probably do a better job than a professional because it's your baby and from looking at your boat I can tell that you're quite a craftsman. Go for it.

Return to “Upholstery”