Covering the inside of myZip

All things related to upholstering your boat.

Moderator: billy c

cusoak

Covering the inside of myZip

Postby cusoak » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:48 am

My winter project this year is going to be covering the insides of the haul.
I want to use plywood with foam rubber and vinyl that matches my seats to do this.
My question is this. Attaching it, do I need to make and fit ribs to the insides and then use Velcro to attach the covered plywood?
Or is there an easier way.
Jeff

vupilot

Re: Covering the inside of myZip

Postby vupilot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:46 am

HI Jeff,

Mine are cut from 1/4" plywood I had leftover and wrapped in the same material as my seats. No foam. 2" wide heavy duty Velcro is all that holds them in place and they are snug. Just make sure you leave enough gap for the upholstery material it always seems to take up more than I think. https://plus.google.com/photos/11285674 ... 9575019574

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:13 am

Hi Chris hopes this you and your family doing well. How,s that baby doing .
Where did you put the Velcro on the top and bottom. Or di you run it up and down.
Jeff

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:35 am

hey Jeff-
you might want to add a thin layer of closed cell to the panel to give the vinyl a little more cushion. this will give a little padding and protect the vinyl from objects rubbing and giving added resistance from tearing. it also gives a nice rounded appearance where you cut slots in the panel for storage. application is simple, just spray with contact cement attach then trim, then wrap the panel with vinyl.
have fun
-Billy
DSC_0008.jpg
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:45 am

I am planning on using some foam and batting on mine. Just have to figure out how to hold in place, on the inside if the sides.
Jeff

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:14 am

It just has a length of the Velcro all the way across the top and bottom of each panel Jeff. Baby is doing great, he is 11 months old this week.

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:22 am

Jeff
I used "Coreflute" as the backing board. Just like plywood, lay the flutes to bend with the curve of the frames. Closed cell foam, 1/4" thick was glued to the coreflute and the vinyl glued to the foam. The glue was sprayed on. Panels are held in position by "Velcro" and the seat squabs. The driver's side panel is held in a slot across the top and some clips at the bottom. I have 50mm floatation foam between each frame so this gives the panels something to rest against too. See third Monaco in "Customer Photos", Ciao Bella. To improve the adhesion of the Velcro use contact to supplement the adhesive on the Velcro. Let the contact tack off well before applying the Velcro. I found the Velcro adhesive alone didn't stick good enough to the varnished frames or the coreflute. I think I also used staples through the Velcro into the wood in places. Make sure to use stainless staples though.
ozzieboat.

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:09 am

Foam headliner material is great for cushioning between the vinyl and the backing board. I got mine at Joanna fabrics (national chain).
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:41 am

Anybody know where you can buy CoreFlute in the Us.
I can't see to find any in Columbus Ohio.
Or maybe I don't know what I am ;looking for.
Jeff

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:34 am

Jeff
You could check with a real estate agent who will have old signs. I found down under that most big hardware stores stocked it and it was usually in the sheet timber section. It came in two thicknesses 3/16" and 1/4", go for the 1/4".
ozzieboat

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:39 am

Thanks I will ck there.
Jeff

Return to “Upholstery”