Glass down, but epoxy not curing

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

DrBryanJ

Glass down, but epoxy not curing

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:30 am

I posted this in my build thread as well. Started to fiberglass bottom. Used System three epoxy on starboard side. No problems, but I ran out. Used Silvertip on port side. Applied 12 hours ago. It does not seem to be setting. It did get cold last night but garage never went below 50. Mixed at a 100:44 weight ratio as stated on bottles. Mixed for 2 minutes. What should I do? I'm inclined to removed port side fiberglass, clean up mess and start over with System three. Also, I don't want to start filling the starboard side with SilverTip as it may not set and cause I bigger mess. Can I let starboard side fully cure and fill cloth later?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

DrBryanJ

Re: Glass down, but epoxy not curing

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Well, I figured out the stupid mistake I made.
I don't want to admit what I did, but I guess I will so others don't make the same mistake. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
When I grabbed my new bottles of epoxy I grabbed 2 bottles of part a. I read the label on one bottle, so of course, the other had to be part b. I happily applied the fiberglass cloth and couldn't figure out why it wasn't cured in the morning. It finally dawned on me the two bottles should be different sized. So, now I have removed the bad cloth and cleaned everything with acetone and warm soap and water. When my new cloth arrives I will try again. After hunting through the basement I finally found the other two bottles of part b. I am now filling the weave on the starboard side.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Re: Glass down, but epoxy not curing

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Bryan

It's not the first time. I use the pumps. Lauren read it was 3:1. So, she pumped 3 resin and 1 hardener. That's a 9:1 mix. It did finally turn hard. Dave Grason did the same as you. It happens.

We're not proud of doing it. You are on your way to that miracle recovery.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Fiberglass”