Varnish Instead of Fiberglass?

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

hoodman

Re: Varnish Instead of Fiberglass?

Postby hoodman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 am

Do you mean shear to shear? If so, the issue will be if the chines are radiused enough for the cloth to go around them and not make air pockets. If your buddies are really that experienced then they probably know about all that and other issues already.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:11 am

:D If you're using the Glen-l fibreglass kit and run lenthwise, make sure to measure the long pieces of cloth;I got my sides and bottom pieces mixed up and didn't have enough cloth to cover sides-had to piece it from extra bottom piece.unless they are marked on bag.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 am

Sorry, I meant shear to shear. The issue of chine radiusing has come up and I'm wondering if doing so has any effect on performance. Does a sharp edge ensure better tracking, less roll, less of a wet ride in the back? How much is ok?

I don't think the supplied glass will make it lengthwise, because I have stretched the hull about 3 feet.

At the transom, do you glad it first, then lap the bottom cloth over it?

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:36 pm

I did my transom first, then built up the bottom edge to get a sharp corner. After that, I placed the bottom glass. This is what most people on this site recommend.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Return to “Fiberglass”