Feathering Clarification

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

mdweber

Feathering Clarification

Post by mdweber » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:34 am

Hey Gang,

Just finished glassing my bottom and transom. It was an all night event...perhaps not the wisest idea to begin at 11pm! I decided to cover these in a single piece of fiberglass. Because my squirt hull is 48", and the glass I used was 50", I left no overlap at the chine or transom/side intersection. I cut the glass all the way around the bottom and transom about 1" in from the sides.
IMG_1159.JPG
I'm planning on prepping the sides for glass today, and need to get the bottom/transom fiberglass feathered. I will be bright finishing the transom, so I want to make sure I feather the glass correctly and maintain a good look. When sanding for the feather, is there anything I need to watch out for? Does the feather cut through a portion of the existing fiberglass or only the epoxy that is on top of it? If I sand down and begin to hit glass, have I gone to far and need to add more layers of epoxy?

Thanks!
Mike

billy c

Re: Feathering Clarification

Post by billy c » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:19 am

Mike-
looks like the overlap will be under the bottom paint or boot stripe so good place to hide the seam. i like to take a cabinet scraper and shear off beveling the raw cloth/epoxied edge before adding the topside cloth. you can wet the area down with water after scraping to check what your prepped area looks like before adding the overlapping layer at the transom edge where your overlap will be left bright finished
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 am

Once the epoxy is good and hard i took a ro sander to the edges. You shouldnt really get into the fiberglass raised edge will sand away and youll know when to stop. Take extra time on your transom and stem since that looks like the only overlaps that can be seen when youre finished.

I hadnt heard the cabinet scraper trick sounds like a good one.

mdweber

Post by mdweber » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for the tips, Billy and Chris.

I worked on feathering the transom glass with an RO sander today. I definitely know what you mean, Chris, when you say "you'll know when to stop." Once I tapped the glass I hit the transom with 2 coats of epoxy. I'll let that cure and then give it another go tomorrow. Does that sounds like a workable plan?

Also, because the bottom/side fiberglass overlap is on the bottom of the boat and will not be seen, is it acceptable for me to sand into the glass to make the feather?

Mike

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:29 pm

vupilot wrote: I hadnt heard the cabinet scraper trick sounds like a good one.
Chris- a couple of advantages ...gives you a clear finish as you are not abrading the cloth fibers as with sandpaper. also can be scraped when the epoxy is still green.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

brad1516

Post by brad1516 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:41 pm

are you putting you fiberglass on wet or dry method I am at the fiberglass stage of my squirt if you have more pictures that be great

Return to “Fiberglass”