To screw or not to screw

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

mdweber

To screw or not to screw

Postby mdweber » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Hello All,

Today I finished gluing down the deck on my squirt. I used drywall screws with plywood washers to secure the deck down while the glue was drying. Now that I removed them, I am wondering whether or not I should countersink screws permanently or just fill the holes with epoxy. The plywood will be the subdeck.

So, do I need the screws?

Thanks!

vupilot

Re: To screw or not to screw

Postby vupilot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:45 am

Are you talking about just the sub-deck? Leaving screws in wont hurt and its a little extra insurance on the attachment. If you don't leave them in definitely fill them so the epoxy wont leak into them when the finished deck goes on perhaps starving that joint of needed epoxy.
Last edited by vupilot on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

mdweber

Postby mdweber » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 am

sorry for being vague. I'm referring to the screws attaching the sub-deck to the battens/sheers.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 am

My2 cents: once epoxied in place the screws are essentially redundant at best, and really no longer necessary, so remove them. For over 90% of my entire hull ply no screws were used at any point in the process, and the few that were used were removed. I've pounded my ZIP from time to time over the years and nothing has let go. Point is - good glued/epoxied joint is stronger than screws and screws are only necessary to hold things in place while epoxy sets up.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

mdweber

Postby mdweber » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:00 pm

No screws it is! I ran out of 3/4" screws, so that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.

Mike

Return to “Fiberglass”