When to Fair Hull?

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

BlueRidgeBoater

When to Fair Hull?

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 am

I've put down three lawyers of fiberglass tape on the hull seams. I'm going to then fiberglass the entire hull. The edges of the tape still have some ridges after sanding. On the inside of the hull, I just faired the tape edges and painted. On the outside, should I fair now, or put the fiberglass cloth down over the entire hull and then fair any remaining ridges from the tape after the cloth and all coats of epoxy have been applied to the hull?

billy c

Re: When to Fair Hull?

Postby billy c » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:57 am

i'd squeege a coat of thickened epoxy along the edge of the tape and blend the seam into the hull. without that step, the glass may bridge the seam and create a void in some areas
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

BlueRidgeBoater

Re: When to Fair Hull?

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:59 pm

billy c wrote:i'd squeege a coat of thickened epoxy along the edge of the tape and blend the seam into the hull. without that step, the glass may bridge the seam and create a void in some areas

Good point. Thanks, and I'll fair with thickened epoxy before fiberglassing the hull. (I was leaning that way anyway, but I'll now feel better knowing I have a good reason to do so).

Return to “Fiberglass”