My first time fiberglassing procedure ....

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

Dave Grason

Re: My first time fiberglassing procedure ....

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm curious as to why you're using resin instead of epoxy .... AND why chopped strand instead of fiberglass cloth?

Of course, you do mention that you might replace steps 1,2 and 3 with the wet method. I am guessing that this means epoxy.

The reason that I'm curious is that polyester simply does not bond with wood the way epoxy does. For years, manufacturers of FRP boats have been using polyester with wood because it is cheaper. But the trade-off is that there is a high chance that the polyester and wood will eventually delaminate. And then, of course, the wood gets the blame because no self-respecting boat manufacturer would ever blame any faults on his fiberglass work. :( So, I am thinking that maybe you're thinking about saving money.

I gotta figure that if you're going to use the boat in the Phils, you're going to see almost exclusively salt water use. Am I correct?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 am

:D The way I understand it a person uses chopped strand for fibreglass lay-up over hull mold for fibreglass boat.balsa-core and c-flex can be used too.Over plywood hull,use cloth and epoxy layers as fill coats.I used fibreglass kit from Glen-l.the cloth weight is 7 or 8 oz I think
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 am

:D You'll have to go on Glen-l's website and click on on-line catalogs and look up cloth.it's 7 oz. the kit contains the same cloth as the other stuff they have.I liked using the slow hardener because of longer work times.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Wolters,

Yes, our Fiberglass kits come with woven cloth. We recommend one layer of cloth on the bottom, sides and transom and the kit comes with enough epoxy for application and wetting out and filling the weave of the cloth. Mat is usually used for fiberglass boat construction, as the folks correctly stated.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:46 am

:D I like the silica and microballoons from Glen-l for fillers and fillets .I have also used sawdust from orbital sander.Just mix up epoxy and hardener first then add stuff slowly until you get to consistancy you need.thick as peanut butter for fillets and filling screw holes is nice.

Return to “Fiberglass”