Fiberglass resin prep

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

jeff k

Fiberglass resin prep

Post by jeff k » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:16 am

Hi Guys,
I'm a long time epoxy user for glassing on boats. I do not have a whole lot of experience with fiberglass resin. I have a 10' GW Invader I am starting to restore and I will be using fiberglass laminating resin to bed my cloth on the inside of the hull. I will also be using this to glass in the transom and stringers. My question is when using epoxy for this purpose I always have to wash, scuff then wipe down with denatured alcohol between coats of resin to get a proper bond. What process would need to be followed between resin and matt coats with the laminating ( no wax ) fiberglass resin. Do I need to wash it, wipe it or scuff to get proper bond between coats?

Thank you,
Jeff K
This boat project is destroying my wallet, But it is enriching my soul.

Roberta

Re: Fiberglass resin prep

Post by Roberta » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:09 am

If you recoat within 24 hrs, you shouldn't have to do any cleaning unless there was some kind of contamination from an outside source.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

galamb

Re: Fiberglass resin prep

Post by galamb » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Yes, if you catch it while it's still "green" then it will chemically bond to itself.

If it cures then you have to sand (80 grit seems to be the wisdom from the epoxy makers) to ensure a mechanical bond.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “Fiberglass”