Health Issues

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

weasel

Health Issues

Postby weasel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:21 pm

I read a lot of how to do the epoxy layers, laying the fiberglass, sanding, and the final paint coat and UV sealer. I have a good handle on that. I'm not sure if I will go braindead putting on the fiberglass though hmmm. I have a well ventilated shop 26 x 36, I have a big adjustable fan that can move a lot of air through the room fresh in, old out.

I was wondering how toxic this fiberglass epoxy is stuff really is? One book says it's really nasty and another book says just to ventilate the room well. I've heard you need a ventilated mask system to wear constantly that is vented directly to the outside air. I've heard you need just a well ventilated area with eye/skin/ protection like rubber gloves and a face shield. I've heard it's terrible stuff, I've heard it isn't that bad. I don't know which one it is. Has anyone went brain dead/ or survived that can let me know LOL? Have a good day Weasel.

chugalug

Re: Health Issues

Postby chugalug » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:13 am

:D I didn't think the epoxy smelled that bad.There's not much fumes.That doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions.I wore rubber gloves (got box of 100 disposable ones).don't wipe your eyes and avoid eating it. Also wear dust mask like fo putting in fibreglass insulation.The CPES on the other hand has alot of nasty fumes.you should wear respirator for that stuff.one could get allergic to the epoxy use over time ,I've heard.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:27 am

A lot of people have said I'm brain dead but that was before I worked with the epoxy. Some people become sensitized to it and break out in rash and other bad things. Some folks can't even be near it for several days to weeks after it first cures. The only place I took special care was mixing the silica into the epoxy. I wore gloves each time when mixing and using epoxy but that was because I didn't want a mess on my hands. Today I take more precautions after reading about issues others have had. If you have a well ventilated shop you should be just fine. Wear gloves and face mask to minimize fumes.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:55 am

Nitrile gloves a must, you WILL get the the stuff on you! (And a whole lot of other unwanted places)

Might just be me but by the end of my ZIp build I got to loathe the smell of the Fast hardener, not so much the Slow, go figure?

We have all done it and are all still here, though many think we are crazy for building a boat in the first place :)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:12 am

This is a real issue. Several of us have been dealing with sensitivity. I seems to be solvents in hardeners. Some brands are better than others.

I bought 5 gal. of East System for a "good price". By the end of the 1st gal. I couldn't use it. If it got on my clothes, I would have a skin burn there. Even with a full face respirator I would get burns around my eyes. And, a daily nose bleed.

West System is moderately irritating.

MAS with slow hardener seems to be my best option. If I use it several days in a row I still have some skin irritation. MAS has a Low-Tox hardener. Low-Tox doesn't seem to bother me. But, it is so slow as to be unusable.

Wear nitrile gloves, a respirator, and long sleeves. A good fan helps a lot, too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:55 am

Sensitivity to epoxies is a real problem for some people, me included. I have two personal acquaintances who ended up in hospital with almost closed breathing passages and severely swollen eyes. Some skin types (fair?) are more prone than others. I ended up after some time away, switching over to MAS Low Tox and it allows me to continue with my builds. I use all the mentioned precautions including a full face mask. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to install gas heat in my shop, and when I do an epoxy job (near the end of the work day ) I turn the heat up to 90 deg. and leave for the day.
Next morning everything is great.
Doug

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:54 pm

:D I like using the Glen-l epoxy with slow hardener.the fast stuff sets off too fast for me.noticed too that fast hardener stinks more.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm going to post this because I thought after decades of dealing with resins I knew a lot, but I just found this out a couple of years ago:

ALWAYS have a gallon of white vinegar around. Forget acetone for your body. White vinegar will remove any kind of resin, even partly cured, from your skin. It is totally non-toxic and won't damage anything. Don't use it for tools or general cleanup, just skin. I have stepped in some partly cured epoxy on my shop floor in bare feet. I go outside, pour some vinegar on the ground, and wiggle my feet, then to the hose. Epoxy gone. I wipe my exposed skin with it routinely when I've been glassing or gluing. Washes off with water immediately. My wife says I smell like a salad, but it sure beats dumping acetone on yourself!

I wonder how many others out there have not discovered this miracle stuff. You won't hear about it from people selling resins, because they want to sell you acetone. A gallon of white vinegar here is about $3.00.

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Also, I had help from a pro with my fiberglass. He told me epoxy, unlike other resins and solvents, goes right into your body and stays there! He had no problem washing himself off with acetone, but wore two pair of rubber gloves when applying epoxy coatings.

If you use CPES (Smiths or whatever) that is probably the worst, because of the solvents in it. Hazmat mask, long sleeves and gloves. Maybe even goggles.

Return to “Fiberglass”