Installing strakes after or before fiberglassing?

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

galamb

Re: Installing strakes after or before fiberglassing?

Postby galamb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:58 pm

I installed mine after.

My reasoning was as follows.

First, it made laying down the cloth a whole lot easier - nothing to work around, cut around etc.

Second, if the strakes ever get damaged, rubbed, hard grounding etc they could be replaced or repaired (ok, a bit to a lot of work) without messing with the integrity of the (sealed) hull.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:56 am

Peter

You might consider solid vinyl (PVC) for the strakes. you can get it at the big box store.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

galamb

Postby galamb » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Great tip Bill on the PVC - never would have thought. Used the PVC (boards) to trim out all my house windows when I replaced them - machined great and never have to mess with it (paint etc) ever again.

Peter - I installed them (epoxied to the hull which was covered in cloth/epoxy). Then I just went over them with three coats of un-thickened epoxy (no cloth of additives) - basically just "painted" them with three coats. Then painted over everything (Interlux VC Performance epoxy - wanted a white bottom and didn't really care about true anti-fouling - run in fresh water and trailer the boat).

They are holding up well (fifth season now), but I haven't grounded the boat and it lives on a trailer in between trips.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “Fiberglass”