Sheathing question

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

DSR

Sheathing question

Postby DSR » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:56 am

I'm going to be sheathing the TNT I'm building and was wondering if there was a good way to come up with a nice consistent radius on the shears?

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Roberta

Re: Sheathing question

Postby Roberta » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:00 am

I take the boards I will be using for the shears and chines and prop them up on one end to see how evenly they sag, or bend. Swapping ends and/or turning them over can influence this. Pick boards that have a matching sag. If you are resawing your wood, booked boards often evenly bend. Attaching the shears and chines to the stem and breast hook and then bend back to the frames will give a more rounded bend. Attaching them to the frames and bending to the stem and breast hook will give you a flatter bend. Often building room dictates how you will be able to bend the longitudinals.

Hope this helps,

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:19 pm

I had to adjust the bend of one of my sheers after it was glued. So the lesson there is to get them clamped in place and take a close look at them before you glue them in place.

DSR

Postby DSR » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. I'm sorry that my question wasn't very clear but you've just given good info on something i hadn't even thought about. A very big thank you!
I was actually curious about when I get to the point of fiberglass sheathing the hull if there was a good way to get a consistent radius on the sheers to eliminate the sharp edge where the deck and side planking meet so that the glass cloth could wrap around and not lift? With the constantly changing curvatures I can't see using a router persay unless there's a trick to using a router to do it?

Thanks
Dave

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:54 pm

I cut up one of my wife's credit cards to make a gauge :? . Then used a belt sander.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DSR

Postby DSR » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:18 am

Haha, thanks Bill, I was thinking that making a gauge and doing it by hand might be about the only way to do it. Using the wife's card is just a bonus. She'll get over it eventually........right? :D

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:24 am

:D When sanding fillets on boat,I would curl up heavy-duty disc sander paper and use that.maybe to go other way I would cut groove in sanding block and glue in chunk of 50 to 80 grit or finer sandpaper from belt sander.or just try groove in wood sand block
IMG_0767[1].JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

DSR

Postby DSR » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:33 am

Hi Chugalug. Saying that has gotten me thinking of maybe finding or making a piece of molding like 5-6" long with a groove the right radius and glue sandpaper in the groove?

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:14 am

:D Sounds good.maybe even screw on some kind of handle to make it a little easier.Your little boat should be a little easier than my Bo-Jest was.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

DSR

Postby DSR » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:49 pm

.......and another one for the specialty tool box! Thanks for the help Chugalug. I picked the TNT for that exact reason. Even with all the changes I'm making to turn it into a "squirt boat" I would think it'll be quite a bit easier than a Bo Jest. My reason for choosing it for my first of a few (hopefully) boats I plan to build. It's been a lot of enjoyment going through the planning, drafting and now into the parts gathering stages and now I'm getting ready for the wood splinters!!

Thanks again to all for the help!
Dave

Return to “Fiberglass”