Glassing the top of my Tuffy

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

Scott

Glassing the top of my Tuffy

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Its been years since Ive been on here. Think I left off having a 650xs merc in my possession, briefly. Since then my Tuffy has been in storage unfortunately not claiming any fame. Bought a fishing boat instead, found the love for archery and kind of stepped away from it.

I'm looking to glass the top of the Tuffy for a few reasons.
1 - Durability and longevity
2 - Smooth finish with great looks
3 - Need the know how for future reference

So, lightweight 4oz cloth with epoxy? 7.5oz with epoxy was used on the bottom, which I might sand & fill again anyways.

I've done a brief search on here what to use but there seem to be varying opinions...

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

billy c

Re: Glassing the top of my Tuffy

Postby billy c » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 am

Scott
the 4oz glass will keep your plywood from checking and gives you a good base for your topcoat of paint or varnish. the lightweight cloth weave is easy to fill and level.
if you did a mahogany or wood deck like the classics, just epoxy as a base and then varnish or paint
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Fiberglass”