corners?

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

gregggrundon

corners?

Post by gregggrundon »

OK; How come you guy's work always looks so much better than mine?
There must be a trick to glassing corners that I don't know.
Inside corners, outside corners, I always end up with air under the glass.
What's the magic secret?

gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

selective photography

:wink:
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

razopp

Post by razopp »

Gregg,

I would higly recommend getting a copy of Glen-L's DVD on fiberglassing. It is VERY helpful with just the type of questions you are asking. I bought it and it is worth every penny. I made a post about it under the tools section of the forum.

In summary:

For insinde corners you will need to build up a radius in the joint with fillet. I have one of those nifty fiberglass rollers that works great for working the bubbles out.

For outside corners, the video explains this VERY well. Basically, you can cut the corner of one side and wet it out and then overlap the othe piece. I cannot really think of how to describe this exacty. They also show that you can just wet out the cloth and then fold the corners and smooth with your glove covered hand. Again, the video does a much better job of explaining.

I hope this helps.

Robert

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV »

To get a sharp outside corner, I rounded it over, glassed it, then built it up with epoxy putty and sanded it down to a sharp edge. Does it look good? Yes

Will it hold up? I will tell you when I find out.

HouTexBBC

Post by HouTexBBC »

Sharp corners are definitely a problem. Glass doesn't like to make a 90 degree turn. The smaller the glass the easier it becomes, however. I used 2oz glass topside on a particular boat I buillt because I wanted UV protection of the wood without a lot of added weight. The 2oz will almost do 90 degrees. I only needed to take the edge off the corner.

Dennis

gregggrundon

glass half full

Post by gregggrundon »

Thanks guys!

Aloha,

Gregg

Ps. I'll order the disc tonight.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Gregg,

You're not looking for high speed on your boat. Rounding a hard edge to 1/8" radius will not hurt at all. And, the fabric will thank you.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gregggrundon

corners

Post by gregggrundon »

Hi Bill,

I need to re-wall the pilot house now that I'm done adding the new roof, and deck. this boat had great corners, but, they were no good for keeping the water out of the plywood. The original builder glassed the pilot house up to the cabin windows, but, not above. They should have been glassed to overlap the lower layer of glass, like the shingles on a roof, so the water is carried away. Instead, he made a swimming pool out of the cabin walls. Water ran into the walls, and stayed there. So, I'd like nice corners, but not at the price of new walls next year. I did order some books tonight. It's about time Glen L. got some money from me, instead of just questions.

Thanks,

Gregg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:oops: My mind got stuck on the hull, and missed the point.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon »

No hard feelings :lol: If missing the point were a qualification; I'd be Chairman of the Board; President, even...
I probably just need to add more silica and shave out the shape I want.
I'll wait and see what the books say; Note to self, "Order more Silica".

Gregg

Return to “Fiberglass”