What is a Gathering? Or Memories of Gatherings

This was another GREAT time with the Glen-L boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

What is a Gathering? Or Memories of Gatherings

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:33 pm

This is one of the longest post that I have ever made. It could be much longer. If you want to cut to the chase just go to the bottom an save your time.

We’re coming up on the Gathering, G-9. I started thinking of all the things that I remember from the past Gatherings. This thing could go on and on.

It started out with a few of us saying we should get together sometime. I think it was Ken Schott that finally put it into words. Now where? We looked at where we seemed to have the most forum activity and it looked like the most central location was North Alabama or lower Tennessee. Dave and Connie Grason and I decided to scout some locations. We decided to look at Guntersville AL. We checked several places. Lake Guntersville State Park looked perfect. It cabins, a lodge, RV park, camp grounds and a good boat ramp. We just posted… “That’s It.”

We really didn’t expect much of a crowd. Maybe, we would have 6 to 8 people and 3 or 4 boats drinking beer around a campfire. I don’t remember the final count. I think it was about 75 people and 15 to 20 boats. We had people from Canada, Bruce Dow and his dad Brian. We had Bob Maskle from Minnesota, who had never posted, just show up. We had KenS who came from Savannah GA. Barry, Anka, Gayle & John came from Glen-L. I can’t name everybody. But, we were shocked at the turnout.

The first year we really didn’t know what to expect. We through together a quick menu as the count of people grew. I decided to do Jerk Chicken, Black-eyed peas & rice and a Mango Salad. Ken made a Low Country Boil. Late in the afternoon Leakcheck, Steve Sawtel, finally showed up with a beer keg. Nothing like being late with the beer. I yelled something derogatory at him. He replied, “You Must Be Bill! BTW. That’s Mr. A.H. to you.” Steve made up for it when he opened up the back of the magic truck and pulled out a big grill, deep fryer… The man can cook for a crowd!

John Bowen and I had started cooking the Jerk Chicken when Butch & Paula Barto pulled in their RV pulling Innocence. I had met them at a charity boat show. They went to set up camp. Then I looked at John and said, “That’s Barto coming down the lake!” There is no mistaking that big block V8.

Over the years we’ve changed a few things and people have come and gone. The constants are good food, good music and good people.

I remember to little girls getting the “Cutest Tugboat Captains” award. They were so proud of them. One went and called her mother and they both looked at the award under the dock lights all evening.

I remember a young man with a Super Spartan. It was a cold windy day and the lake was rough. He was determined to go out. He came back in soaking wet, cold and with a big smile on his face.

I remember Roberta taking on the Torpedo after Glen-L had pulled it off the market. That hasn’t stopped her. With her help the design will come back out. That’s where her “Queen of the Boat Builders” came from.

Many of us have become long term friends. We meet each other at boat shows. People travel to help with turning boats and finding materials.

I remember, Bruce Dow needed a flame arrester for his old CC engine. Soloboat, from California, located one in Minnesota, and Bob Maskle said that was about 10 minutes from his house. He’d go check it out for Bruce.

Lauren & I decided we’d had enough working life and retired in 2012. We had always talked about a trip down under. That is as far from where we grew up as you can get. The Aussies decided they should do a Gathering. We had the privilege of being part of it! Same story, Great People, Great Food and Great Fun.

There are so many memories. I can’t write all of them and ever finish this. All this just boils down to one word. “Friends!”

Come join us.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Re: What is a Gathering? Or Memories of Gatherings

Postby Roberta » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:49 pm

I've always had a passion for woody boats. When I gave up flying after retiring from 40 years of We Energies, I decided it was time to build that dream boat. I never dreamed I would find so many new friends and have so much fun building and joining in the gatherings and the other boat shows. This is such a rewarding hobby. Wish I had gotten into it years ago!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Postby kens » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:33 pm

the picture of 1st launch remains high on my list.
and all the people helping a hand putting bits & pieces on my build.
somebody went to the hardware store, Butch screwed the exhaust baffle on,
somebody grabbed a can of gas, Butch followed me as a chase boat,
Dwain Colton was riding mechanic, tweeking the carb underway.
I felt like everybody else wanted to see my build run as much as I did.

I was trying so hard to make G1 for first splash, and household honey-do's were getting me held up.
I finally just hooked up the trailer, threw all the last minute parts in the back and took off.

OH!!! And the picture of all us on the bank at golden sunset with the banner. Where did the banner go?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Ken

I think I have the banner.

Yes, your last minute finish is one of the many memories. It's also a proud moment to me.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:37 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Ken

Yes, your last minute finish is one of the many memories.

Bill

Finish? What?
It still aint finished......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I went straight into using it. :D
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 am

8) we did not have much of a turn out at the Lake Powell gathering but it was quality we did one run the first day of the gather but we pretty much went our own way after that but every evening we came to my camp for wine and get together. I turned the planning over to another who thought they could do better but now word has been posted on it so I guess we will not be having one this year I am going to try and make the one In Tenn this years since my lost Daughter does not live to far from the location and would make a great place to meet for the first time. Gatherings are about making new friends and seeing old one you don't have to meet people in person to become friends I have been on this form for years now I still have not completed a boat but i still felt like I belonged. The informal thing about gathering make it nice just a bunch of friends enjoying and sharing a a interest I have talked to many here on the forum and consider you all friends. :wink: :oops:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Rod

We would all love to meet you, your daughter and her family at Nickajack. Maybe share some of the experience.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 am

8) I will see what happens it will depend on my daughter and when she has vacation time available. :roll: she lives in western ky close to land of lakes
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Gathering 2015”