What Bites?

A place for all Glen-L Boatbulders to share their boating adventures and fishing stories (Glen-L makes no judgement as to any possible "exaggerations" contained herein....)

Moderator: vupilot

kens

What Bites?

Postby kens » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:35 pm

I took my buddy, Carlos, out offshore with me. We went to a place called J-Reef, 20 miles offshore St. Catherines island, Ga. While setting up for top water trolling, I had 3 lines out with daisy chains when the first reel screamed. Carlos handles it while I was letting out the 4th rod. Then the second rod screemed. I went to it and the 3rd one peeled off line. We had a triple hook-up with only the 2 of us in the boat. All I could do was lock down the drag of the odd reel and hope for the best. Watching a rod dancing by itself in the rod holder with nobody to tend to it was painful. We landed 2 king mackerals and the odd reel lost its bounty.
The rest of the morning was busy with one rod or the other hooking up all morning. With a lull in early afternoon, I was ready to head for home, a 30 mile return trip to the boat ramp. Then it happened.
Carlos' rod screamed like it was pulled by a truck. He fought it for 30 minutes, and he getting tired. He finally pulled in the head of a Blackfin Tuna, the head was big 'round as your thigh. Holy crap!!! what happened?
What bites like this?
A shark, maybe?
I got concerned thinking about the movie 'Jaws', and my plywood, homemade, Glen-L boat, 20 miles out of site of land. (the music was playing in my head)
Carlos was all fired up and excited, but I was looking around the boat for Jaws. I wasnt as excited as he was.
Then MY reel screemed like it was pulled by a truck. I fought it, and pulled in another Tuna head.
These 2 fish must have been 30-40lbs each, and the body was bite clean off. Bite off clean enough you didnt feel the jerk on the line.
Shark maybe? Jaws?
Carlos wants to try to catch the shark, I say, we can still get a steak off of each head, lets go home, its late anyway.
I am curious though,
What Bites like this?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

vupilot

Re: What Bites?

Postby vupilot » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:46 am

Looks like you found the new "Fishing Stories" section of the forum Ken.

This is a great place for those Glen-L boaters whose builds have long been completed to share how they are using their Glen-L boat. So if you have a fish story or are just out for cruise looking at the fall colors or pulling the kids on tube post up some pictures here of you and your friends and family using your boat.

kens

Postby kens » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:35 am

Oh, there is lots of ways to use my boat, tubing, fishing, cruising. When you go offshore it amazes me the things you see, and hear out there. Even things that snort at you!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Yikes Kens, there are few worse ways of dying than getting eaten!! I distinctly remember how I wouldn't go near the beach for a good year after first seeing Jaws back in the 70's (Jeez, was it really that long ago?)
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:15 pm

I never got a glimpse of that shark, probably better that I didnt.

One day was very calm and balmy, and I laid down for a nap.
I was awaken by something snorting. (again I was 20 miles offshore)
What snorts in the ocean? All I saw was a splash where it went under.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:43 pm

kens wrote:I was awaken by something snorting. (again I was 20 miles offshore)
What snorts in the ocean? All I saw was a splash where it went under.

Maybe something like this :lol: :lol:

Giant_octopus_attacks_ship.jpg

or perhaps this :lol: :lol:

megalodon_shark.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:16 pm

When you are on a mountain, or, on the ocean, you are no longer at the top of the Food Chain! ! !

Ranny

Postby Ranny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:40 am

Might have been a barracuda. That is how I caught Barracuda Bob, presently residing on my family room wall:) We were off Hilton Head catching 5-10 pound fish when one came up with no body. The guide rigged a fish and we caught Bob on the first troll.
Ranny

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Yeah, I got a good many barracuda, and eat the little ones.
But, this tuna head indicated a 30-40 lb fish. Something got it in a swift bite.......twice !!!!!

Return to “"Fishing Stories" by Glen-L Boatbuilders”