Trolling top water lures // wakes

A place for all Glen-L Boatbulders to share their boating adventures and fishing stories (Glen-L makes no judgement as to any possible "exaggerations" contained herein....)

Moderator: vupilot

kens

Trolling top water lures // wakes

Postby kens » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Anybody on the board pursue top water trolling?
let's talk of your wake, where to set your lures, and trolling speed, wake forms, etc., etc.,
What speed you running? what wake form you looking for? what wake wave you setting hook lure into??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

weller

Re: Trolling top water lures // wakes

Postby weller » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:47 am

The only time we pull just lures is when we are fishing for blue marlin. We run the biggest lures on the flat lines. The right side is on the face of the second wake and the left side is on the face of the third wake. Next is big teasers just ahead of them two lures run off the outriggers. The short rigger lures are medium to large lures and run on the face of the fourth wake. The long rigger lures are small and run on the fifth wake. Last is the shotgun down the middle that can be a large lure or more of a bullet shape run about the distance of the sixth or seventh wake. All this is pulled at around 9 knots but it depends on sea conditions and how the lures are running.
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

kens

Postby kens » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:22 am

I have good luck with a cedar plug on shotgun.
I get spanish mackerel, Kings, blackfin, Mahi, on top water trolling.
Not using outriggers as yet, i use bentbutt rod canted outward, on the fwd gunnel, these get the most strikes.
my lures are mostly daisy chain plastic skirts with hook in the last lure.
I always put hook lure in the wave wakes, fwd gunnel in 3rd wake, straight gunnel in 4th wake, shotgun 5th or 6th.
i pulling 5 lines with no outriggers if I got good helping hand.

You got something like bonafied outriggers?
I got left & right rod holders on ttop splayed outward, I stick a 15' surf rod in there; need a extra hand onboard to run this many lines though.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

weller

Postby weller » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:07 am

I forgot about Spanish mackerel. For them we run two rods, one in each corner. The reels are filled with 20lb braid down to a planer then ten feet of 20lb fluorocarbon with a Clark spoon trolled at 4-5 knots. I haven't spent much time targeting blackfin but have caught them when kite fishing. As for dolphin little feather lures work but we have better luck trolling ballyhoo, some naked some behind islander lures at 5 knots. The boat I fish on has outriggers.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Gosh, I hear so many folks talk of a Clark spoon, and to this day, I have never caught a thing on a spoon. :?:

You ever get Bonita when trolling? you eat them?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:17 pm

I thought the biggest use for Bonita was Grouper bait.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Fresh Bonita won't keep overnite, it gets all mushy.
You can, however, fillet the clear meat off the top of the back, and grill that, it is as good as any other tuna.
if already grilled, you can keep it and use it as tuna salad sandwiches,
you can make Hawaiian Poke' with it too, and for this it is excellant.
But if raw, it won't keep overnite. it is a must use same day thing.

A lot of guys give bonita a big thumbs down, but if I have to decide between a empty cooler and a few bonita, I'll take the bonita.

Sometimes I'll take the marinade portion of Hawaiian Poke' on the boat with me, and the first bonita gets filleted for poke' and the blood vein becomes bait. The poke' is ready for a stack of crackers about an hour.

weller

Postby weller » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Every bonita I ever caught was used for bait to bail dolphins. Are you using a planer to get your spoons deep? If not that might be why your not having luck with them. I don't think I ever caught a Spanish mackerel on anything else.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Seems like Sp. Macks will hit almost anything. Especially hit little mylar jigs.

Return to “"Fishing Stories" by Glen-L Boatbuilders”