Southern Gathering (2016?)

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm in for a south east gathering
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Dave Grason

Re: New member from Florida

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:30 pm

jamundsen wrote:I'm in for a south east gathering

Where do you suppose it would be? Do you have any ideas? Maybe it could be held in late January or February when the rest of teh nation is in deep freeze.

It was talk just like this that got the original Gatherings together. Personally, I think it would be great if it were to be held somewhere on the Intracranial. That way we could have runs like the river run.

:lol: :lol: Did everyone catch that? My spell checker just called it the "INTRACRANIAL." Oh yeah, I just gotta find out where THAT is. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Dave Grason wrote:
jamundsen wrote:I'm in for a south east gathering

Where do you suppose it would be? Do you have any ideas? Maybe it could be held in late January or February when the rest of teh nation is in deep freeze.

Maybe Kelly and I can put our heads together when he's down next month. Are you up to it Kelly?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:51 am

I am up for it ... did not mean to Hijack this guys thread... but ... I will be back at Long Point in Sept.. sorry Bill ... I hate missing Snook Season...
Tracy .. I think the same lot as last year... the cool thing is every one has there own boat slip...The down side not everyone likes to camp...there is another place in New Smyrna on the river ... it is a fish camp and they have cabins... will try to get more info...

John.. I think it would be a great Idea...

Dave ... look up Long Point Park ..it is a county park in Brevard... it is like a small island has a boat launch ..they is a small store close buy...and 15mins a Publix... and all outside lots have small beaches and you can pull your boat up to lot.. there are big covered places with 8 or 10 tables.. and it is on the Intercostal ...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:12 pm

Ok, I looked it up. Long Point Park would be totally COOOOOOOL!!!! :D

And I don't think I would have to drive as far as the Canadians have been driving to get to our current Gathering. I should hop on the old Harley sometime this winter and take a cruise down there to scout it out just like Bill and I did at Guntersville back ten years ago. What's it like there around the end of January or the beginning of February?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Dave Grason wrote:Ok, I looked it up. Long Point Park would be totally COOOOOOOL!!!! :D

And I don't think I would have to drive as far as the Canadians have been driving to get to our current Gathering. I should hop on the old Harley sometime this winter and take a cruise down there to scout it out just like Bill and I did at Guntersville back ten years ago. What's it like there around the end of January or the beginning of February?

It can get frigid down here in Jan-Feb with lows in the 40's and only warming up to the mid-60's :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Instead of hi-jacking SamsBoat's thread, thought I'd start this one to throw around ideas for a southern gathering.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Dave Grason

Re: Southern Gathering (2016?)

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Good idea.

I wonder how many boaters would be willing to support such a Gathering. ....and, oh year, what would we call it? Also, I was wondering about the average weather in March. Third weekend in March would make it exactly six months after the currently established G. that would give a lot of builders their badly needed fix as well as more motivation to build.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 pm

...only in the 60s? OMG, that's TERRIBLE!! :P

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:04 am

Ill throw this out there...a bunch of you could just plan on going to the 2016 Sunnyland ACBS show and represent Glen-L and the homebuilts.

March 17-20 2016
Wooten Park, Taveras, Florida.

Wooten Park is on Lake Dora. Lake Dora connects to two other good size lakes via canals. So you can run a pretty good amount and get away from the show for a while. They do a group canal run one day as well.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:52 am

I'm thinking we might do Sunnyland if I'm up to it. New knee in January!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:14 am

The Lake Dora event sounds intriguing. It would be a good measure of how much interest we had while still being somewhat non-committal about organizing a full on gathering - a chance to test the waters so to speak. :lol:

So here is what I personally need to figure into my near future. I will graduate from college in a couple weeks. Then I have to hit the job market running. That means that at least for a time, I will be unemployed. Since I don't know how that search will go, I will say now that I will commit fully to attending the Lake Dora event UNLESS some job acquisition prevents it. I've promised myself that I will not take a job that requires working on weekends. For twenty years, when I had my landscape biz, I lost my weekends. Then in winter when I had no work, I also had no money and so, it didn't matter whether I had weekends free anyway. Also, I have not had any sort of real vacation for at least ten years and I REALLY need one. I think this could be it.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 am

vupilot wrote:Ill throw this out there...a bunch of you could just plan on going to the 2016 Sunnyland ACBS show and represent Glen-L and the homebuilts.

March 17-20 2016
Wooten Park, Taveras, Florida.

Wooten Park is on Lake Dora. Lake Dora connects to two other good size lakes via canals. So you can run a pretty good amount and get away from the show for a while. They do a group canal run one day as well.

That looks like a good central location for many folks to get to. Accessible by I75 and I95. Inland from Daytona, and north of Orlando.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Another option is the Hartwell ACBS show April15th in Hartwell GA. It's close to Anderson, SC off I-85. It is a well established show put on by the Blue Ridge Chapter of ACBS.
They are homebuilt friendly and a great bunch of folks.
Join up with ACBS and trailer on down! http://blueridgechapter.com/
PS: I'm the membership chairman.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:20 pm

I'll be at Sunniland
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building