Southern Gathering (2016?)

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

jamundsen

Re: Southern Gathering (2016?)

Postby jamundsen » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:12 pm

I think we will have a great time.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Well? It looks like this might be taking on a life of its own, just like the original G has done. Let's make it work!

Unless something really drastic happens, I will be there as well.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:37 am

Hmm with a boat? :lol:
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Me? that would be nice, wouldn't it?

Trust me, you have no idea how heart sick I've been that I have not been able to get my boat project moving forward again. Honestly, it seems like every time I just think I can see how I can break out of this ..... never mind! There is no real sense in going in to it. :cry:

I really am sick of riding in other people's boats. I want so bad to ride in MY boat.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Yeah yeah yeah
When we moved the business to Lakeland I parked the boat in our storage at the airport and just left it there for almost three years. I worked like crazy to get it ready for the last Gathering and didn't make it. So now I work on it every day. Sometimes all I have time for is to pick up some trash or just look at it. But I have to do something boat worthy every day. If I had done that three years ago I'd been boating right now instead of building. Well that's probably not true either. I'd be building a different boat.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:06 am

I have been in the Sunnyland Chapter ACBS For 10 years .Our show in March is one of the biggest in the Country. It is well organized and a great location . We get there on Thursday and leave on Monday . There will be over 100 boats in the water, and more on land ( Don't ask Me why). You wont be disappointed . Cant wait for G10 WOW 10 years. I just finished a new curved dash for my rear cocpit. Any of you that sat back there know how small it was . I cut 5" out of the front of it ,the ride will be more comfortable now.

tcough

Postby tcough » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Went past Wooton Park today, site of the 2016 Sunnyland boat show. I've never been to this event and wonder where all the boats would be kept. Not much room on the water/dock near the park and the parking lot seems small. Here's a photo we took of the ramp and lake.
image4.jpeg

Also looked around for hotels or fish camps and the only thing near the ramp is the Key West Resort. I don't think any of you would want to keep your boats on the water and be that far away from them. There are a couple other ramps in the area that are equally adequate, but nothing with a ramp/dock next to a hotel/cabin. So John & Roberta, I don't know your thoughts on being near the water & your boat.

We did drive around the lakes and there are several hotels just a short drive from the ramps. Perhaps we could select one and Gather there, then drag the boats to one of the ramps near Wooton Park and make the run to the show.

Here's a photo of the lake from the ramp.
image6.jpeg

And here's the Key West Resort.
image7.jpeg
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Ive never been before but looking at pictures of past shows here it seems they bring in temporary dockage and/or utilize a lot of space that isn't seen in the pictures from your visit? https://picasaweb.google.com/LakeDoraWo ... tShowPics#

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:40 am

i don't have a problem not being by the boat. When I had my sailboat we lived 30 miles from where it was docked. They say they will have 110 boats in the water so they must dock them somewhere. Maybe they set up temp docks. I watched some videos on YouTube and it looks pretty good. I bet the city has security as this is a big event. At worst we could have Dave Grayson on guard duty. :lol: :roll: Sorry Dave I couldn't resist.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:12 am

Yeah That's IT!! :lol: If I was on guard duty, I'd be getting lots and lots of positive vibes off of the boats. I'd come home and have my Zip finished before my feet even touched the ground. Hmmm, that might be a great idea. :D

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:13 am

After looking at the link from vupilot, it appears they empty the marina and dock around the seaplane area. That would create a considerable amount of dockage. Looks like the Key West Resort is sold out already, but there is a Holiday Inn Express in Tavares/Leesburg that is pretty close. The web site still shows rooms available. It's also next door to a Hurricane Grill & Bar with a dock that maybe they would let us use, will have to check.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:34 am

Tracy thanks for doing all this leg work... as far as security goes ... could Chain my son's vicious Pit Bull to my boat..!
Attachments
IMG_20140609_174545_824.jpg
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:32 pm

The City will bring in floating docks for the show look at the pics on line Sunnyland Boat show. Your boat will be launched by the Sunnyland team with tractors and your trailer will be put in the parking area to the West of the ramp .

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Like SpecialK said, they may not think highly of a painted boat, not that my Flats Flyer will be anywhere near ready to float. But I will take my plastic boat over and drop it in on another ramp we use. This is a really nice chain of lakes and some great bass fishing.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Was just thinking, after seeing everyone that's recently flipped their boat, or about to, if I time it right, perhaps I'll be ready to flip the Flyer the same weekend. Might make for some great photos if all the Glen-L attendees were able to participate (read as unashamed request for help!).

I've been pushing myself to make progress and I'm doing OK, but sometimes I rush through the finish and the end result isn't what I would like. With that said, I'm really going to take my time and get the hull done right, so I may or may not be ready by SG16.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Return to “Gathering 2016”