Southern Gathering (2016?)

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

flordia boy

Re: Southern Gathering (2016?)

Post by flordia boy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:48 pm

since we went to the G9 gathering, linda and I have felt we needed to be nearer to fresh water, so on Monday the 28th of dec...we close on a house we purchased 15-20 minutes to wooten park. I just donated alot of excess marine parts to the kids participating in the "SCAMPY"project to help them fund their program...they even asked me to come and join them on saturdays, which I may do....looking forward to living there...As far as the show is concerned, I feel its one of the most organized, well run shows I have ever attended....and a showing of Glen-l boats might be a welcome addition...I'll ask a question or two, to get some direction...since I have an inside contact or two....Turtle Sundaze AKA flordia boy...

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Let us know. Im just down the road in Lakeland.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Bob Maskel

Re: New member from Florida

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:38 pm

Dave Grason wrote:...only in the 60s? OMG, that's TERRIBLE!! :P
Only about 50 degrees warmer than here!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

weevar

Post by weevar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 pm

What about galvaston tx there a family member who own a water front property.
he told to bring as many boaters as possible we could use for a week from june 18 to june 25 for his marina grand open ing about 3 miles east from galvaston tx.
people with boats stay for free
I wont get the address until june. Im trying to finish my boat and be there to show off my boat thats in progess right now bu it might be a place to come and gather together if any one is intrested. I honesty might not make in time but ill try to make it. I hope this will help.

Stevengould46

Post by Stevengould46 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:20 pm

I'd love to come if in the spring and bring Miss Chris.

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Since moving to the leesburg Fl area....I have signed on to become a mentor to the youth..Scampy project to help the future boat builders with their projects...Today I helped a 15 yr. old, with his "ACE" he is building....quite rewarding...

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Well, I didn't know what my spring schedule was going to be looking like a number of weeks ago. But, as we draw closer, I am able to work things out. Unless something major comes up and bites me in the tail, I'll be there for the Sunnyland show and to help support the Glen-L crew.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:44 am

Well folks, it's the week of the Sunnyland event. My parents have opted out of going to Florida so I am on my own. It will be quite a long drive but I would rather drive simply because of the freedom that it will give me once I arrive. Personally, I have always hated having to fly into an airport and then try to rent a car, find a room, figure out my war around and where I am going while watching the clock in order to get the car back in time, catch a flight out, etc. I can do this much easier from home.

Since I've never been to this event before, I don't know my way around. So let me throw some things out here.

1. Is anyone from my area, or passing through my area, wanting to travel together?

2. I know this is going to be a large event. I'm curious as to how all the Glen-L folks will make contact and how we will coordinate river runs or other activities.

3.Also, Gayle has sent me a catalog and a modest stack of post card sized promotional hand-outs. If we get into conversations with other boat enthusiasts that might consider building a Glen-L design, the catalog will become an important reference source. I don't want to let it get away from me but I also want it to be available to anyone who might want to look up information.

4. I will be taking LOTS of photos for an upcoming article I will write for the newsletter. So, between taking all the photos and keeping the catalog/promotionals available, I may well have my plate full. Anyone willing to lend a hand?

5. It would be good if we had sort of a sound-off here so that we can get some idea of who all plans to attend.

I plan on leaving here on Wednesday morning. That will give me plenty of time to cover the event even if I have some sort of unforeseen problem that slows me down. According to Google Maps, it's a 10 1/2 hour drive which is not difficult for me at all. That should get me down there with plenty of time to spare.
Last edited by Dave Grason on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:43 am

I won't be able to make it. Work had gotten in the way.
Not happy.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:59 am

Bummer John, I was looking forward to seeing you again.

From 1990 to 2010, I ran my landscape business in Nashville. And for all those twenty years, I wound up giving up my weekends and free time during good weather because I had to get work done. Hey! It was either that or lose business. So I fully understand your position. As the business grew, I found myself with more and more overhead as well and so, it proved to be a vicious cycle and I STILL had to give up my weekends and free time to make things go smoothly. Finally, along about 2007-2008, I realized I was giving up EVERY minute of my time just so that my customers could enjoy theirs. When I finally closed the doors, I was SOOOO happy!! LOL

Since I will be in my own car, I should just drop by and say hello. I'm doing an article for the Glen-L newsletter, would you have any objection to my including a visit to your school in the article? ..cause what are we talking about.... another 50 miles or so? That's nothing for me.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Come on down!!!
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Ok, I will. I'd love to get some photos of the boat. I looked on Google maps and it's about 75 miles down to Lakeland. That's easily doable. As I get closer, I'll get in touch.

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:58 am

Dave I too... am not able to come down this week... some issue at work ... but will be a Long Point Park by lunch on March 24... sorry about that really wanted to be there...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:13 pm

I will be at the show...helping out with the SCAMPY booth......stop by and ask for me...Wayne Conklin..some of the folks may not know me as I'm a new member, having signed on as a mentor...if I miss you leave your cell #, and I'll call you.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Well, today has been a very eventful day. Of course, if anyone's been reading my posts, he/she would know that I recently graduated from college. Today, I got a great job offer doing what I really have been wanting to do - teaching Spanish. But I have to interview Friday. So, guess what? It looks like I'm having to cancel out on the Boat Festival too. I've been wanting to attend this festival for YEARS and, I swear to God, every year something comes up. This year I have been actually pushing everything not related to this trip to Florida to the back burner. But I cannot flake on this job interview.

Return to “Gathering 2016”