Aluminum I beam for skeg?

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Cyclone

Aluminum I beam for skeg?

Postby Cyclone » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:42 am

Anybody have any opinions on using an aluminum I beam to make a skeg? I am thinking of using an aluminum i beam and cutting off one of the flanges to make a "T" shaped cross section and using this for the skeg on the keel of a planning hull along the length of the keel where the hull is straight or flat. I would taper the height of the aluminum skeg to gradually rise in height from the front to the rear. The rear of the skeg would be angled like the plans call for finishing a wooden skeg. (The boat has a straight shaft inboard.) If I taper the leading edge of the skeg down to the thickness of the flange and reduce the width to about 3/4" inches then this front portion would basically act as a piece of rub rail and it could be bent to follow the curve at the forward section of the keel. It wold be attached to the keel by through bolting the flange of the i beam where is meets the keel. The width of the flange that is through bolted could be reduced to suit the with of the flat on the keel and the size of the counter sinks for the bolt heads.

I think it would be light weight, add strength, and protect the hull.

Just thinking about this and would appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts about this idea.

Thank you

Bill Edmundson

Re: Aluminum I beam for skeg?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:50 pm

Cyclone

First, You don't need to worry about the strength of these boats. Unless, you're talking puncture. The AL. skeg won't help that anyway. I don't think there is much weight to be saved here. If you're concerned about scraping, use solid vinyl.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Cyclone

Re: Aluminum I beam for skeg?

Postby Cyclone » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for your input Bill

Return to “Gathering 2016”