G-11

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: G-11

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Ken

We at least started with the drones as a platform for pictures at the Gathering. I'm ready to get back on topic.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:42 pm

We're down to 10 months! Lauren and I just tried a new dish. We think would go well at the Gathering! Conecuh Sausage, Rotel tomatoes, and shredded cabbage (Our extra spice of coarse). I might also make home fry new potatoes w/ onion and fresh rosemary. It surprise us a bit. We doubted it at first. It's good.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hanson

Postby hanson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 am

I am new to the forum, where is the gathering held?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:11 am

Hanson

The Gathering is held at Hales Bar Marina, on Lake Nickajack, south of Chattanooga off I-24. It is the 3rd weekend in September. They have floating cabin, land cabins and RV park. There are other accommodations near by.

Try to come. We usually have around twenty boats. On Friday morning we load up and make the 35 mile run to Chattanooga for lunch.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:07 am

8 Months To Go!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 am

You are like I am, Bill. The G's have become my high point - if not of the entire year - certainly at least of the summers.

This year, I really wish the Canadian bunch could make it back - but only because they bring Canadian beer. It's not because we actually LIKE them or anything. (Yeah Right! ...and if you believe that, I can make you a great deal on the Ryman here in Nashville) ROTFLOL.

I'm going to miss the Sorcis. But they were telling me at G-10 that their daughter is getting married and has already chosen the same weekend as G-11 in 2017 for her marriage. However, with an entire year to plan things, it's possible that the girl will wise up and decide to remain single. LOL. You never can tell. Bob is like me. He comes to the G's even though he isn't ready to bring his boat yet. For those who don't know him, he's buiding a Malahini and we are both sort of having a competition to see who can break his boat project out of the doldrums first. So far, he's winning.

I sure hope Bob Maskel doesn't have another tragedy that takes him away. I don't know what happened but I felt bad that he suddenly had to go home.

I want to see the Atwoods because I'm worried over Chris's cancer. I have not yet gotten to meet the very young Mr. Atwood yet. I meant to meet Heather's dad this past year but I didn't get the chance. Maybe he will come back with them again.

And of course, I always sit with with the Mackes and have a visit each year. They always take an interest in my schooling and I think that this is because Ray identifies with me somewhat. I don't think he ever went to college and maybe he's living a little vicariously through me. I don't know.

This past year, I got so busy that I let my guitar callouses go soft and I should never do that - ESPECIALLY when one considers that I use heavy guage strings on my guitar. They give better sound and are also louder but the trade-off is that they HURT LIKE HELL! LOL So I felt that I was letting Roberta down somewhat because I was REALLY impressed with how much she had improved. It was obvious that she had been spending a LOT of time with the guitar in her hands. So I need to put in some equal time to get those badly needed rocks on the ends of my fingers built back up too. There is something about playing guitar out in the lake's climate that makes my left hand develop some serious cramps in the night air. But I've noticed that, when I have my chops up cause I've been playing a lot, my hand doesn't cramp nearly as badly. So that is another reason I need to prepare better.

I also need to make sure I bring my A-fib meds with me. I left them home accidentally this past G and, after the River Run, my heart started palpitating so badly that I thought i was going to have to call 911. Even though I decided to tough it out, the event still left me with the MOTHER of all killer migraines and that's the reason I had dissappeared on Friday evening. An event like that also always leaves me wheezing because my lungs fill with blood and other unhappy fluids. So the following few days, I am always very short of breath, coughing and weak as a kitten. JESUS I hate getting old! I am not going to let that happen again.

You know... when you think about it, there is a lot of emotion involved in the Gatherings these days because we've gotten to be such a family. Seeing the same folks each year is an emotional anchor that gives my life some stability. And this is not to mention the fact that I get a few days break from my wonderfully loving but curmudgeonly parents.

So Yeah! Only EIGHT months to go.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Gathering 2016”