G-11

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Dave Grason

Re: G-11

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Yup, I found the cave on Google maps. The Railroad bridge also carries Hwy 156. One side of the bridge has the road called: "Old Ladds Rd." and the other side of the bridge has the road called: "Shellmound Rd."

I can't link to the exact spot but here is a link to Hale's Bar Marina:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hales ... 6088?hl=en
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Wait, maybe i DID link to that spot. I copied the URL and then went to a different computer. It took me right to the bat cave. Someone else please try it and see if it's just me.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Dave

That's it. The "square" area in the bank is the main cave. I think there is a second entrance at the end of Mapleview.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:49 am

10 months to go. Maybe, I'll have the Bartender fully ready by then. :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:38 am

It is SO hard to wait, isn't it?

Do you suppose your boat will fit under that bridge that blocks access to the bat cave? Since I've not been there, I don't know how low to the water that bridge is.

For a long time, I've been wanting to buy a good camera drone so that we could do two things:

1. Get a good video tour of Nickajack Lake and:
2. Get some really good drone footage of the various boats at the G.

I hope that this year, I will be able to get my drone flying skills up, finish the Zip and get the coins together for a system. I've had my eye on this:

https://www.dji.com/mavic

But given that I don't even know how to fly a drone yet, I'm also eyeballing this one immediately so I can begin to learn to fly:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/mul ... gy-blh7680

Vupilot recommended this one a while back and I think that it might be a good choice in the interim - until i get the coins for the Mavic:

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/Aton/
https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Quadcopt ... B019OQEIPI

Still, as a college student, I'm finding my funds to be EXTREMELY limited still. I didn't realize that pursuing a Master's was so DARNED expensive.
Last edited by Dave Grason on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kens

Postby kens » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:54 am

Some guys went to the bat cave few years back. The bats don't come out until almost completely dark though, and that makes for a nighttime return back through the rocks .

There is another interesting thing to explore; as you drive towards the local Walmart on the interstate, notice you pass over a tributary of the main river.
This a a tributary just below Nickajack dam, as you go downstream, it is the first on the right. I think it would be interesting to explore this, maybe get some good pics in there. maybe some good fresh catfish for grilling.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:04 am

Dave

I don't remember how much clearance there is under the bridge. I would need about 6'.

That drone would certainly do the job. I ones I have now don't have features or the flight time. But, for under $100 they are good to learn the basics of flying a Quad-Copter. A hobby shop near me has one with most of those features for around $350. Make sure about the availability of spare/replacement parts.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:19 am

Most of the quads, and other aircraft, have parts available. Check Tower Hobby or Horizon Hobby to see if they sell the same thing that your local store sells. The online hobby stores will have a list of spare parts for each item. Then you can choose what and where to buy and know what is available.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:21 am

My mother is one of those people who just assumes that anyone that has a drone is going to be peeking in windows. I had no idea how much flak I was going to get when I started talking about getting one. Jeez! :oops:

Roberta wrote:Most of the quads, and other aircraft, have parts available. Check Tower Hobby or Horizon Hobby to see if they sell the same thing that your local store sells. The online hobby stores will have a list of spare parts for each item. Then you can choose what and where to buy and know what is available.

Roberta :D

My problem is that, even as big as Clarksville is, there are no good hobby stores that sell this stuff. They've all gone out of business. So, I can either go to Nashville or buy everything online. Therefore, I'm just going to buy everything online and not worry about it.
Last edited by Dave Grason on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:30 am

It is really unfortunate that many local hobby shops have been put out of business by the online super stores. We had many as I was growing and I watched them all go out of business. I always tried to support them 'cause it's tough to get a part on a Saturday afternoon through mail order. Now we mostly have no choice.

Whenever I buy some aircraft on line, I always look at the spare parts list and get some extra things I think I may break.

Roberta :(
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:20 am

Happy memories.....
Saving up to take a bicycle ride to the hobby shop on Saturday to buy a can of Testors glo-fuel. My hands still smell of castor oil, methanol and nitromethane!
Last edited by bob smith on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:26 am

Dave

I saw the SJI Phantom 3 Quad-Copter on Thanksgiving day. It's not as nice looking as the Mavic. It has GPS. The guy flew it to location and put in hover mode. It was very steady. Pushed Home and it came back to its original start. There is a screen on the controller to show what the camera sees. It's about half the price of the Mavic.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Yes, I'm familiar with the Phantom 3. It's a great machine and I may end up getting one of those. DJI has been making camera drone platforms for a long time for the movie industry and professional camera and photography people. Their Phantom series has offered the very best platforms for moving these professional capabilities into the hands of the common hobbyists or amateur photogs. By now though, the Phantom 3 is several years old so, obviously, the Phantom 4 was improved over the 3 and the Mavic is now the latest incarnation of the Phantom line.

There is one large aspect to the entire Phantom line and that is that these drones were not made with the hobbyist in mind that wanted the experience of flying a drone. Rather, these are made for photography and videography enthusiasts who want an extremely stable and VERY easy to fly platform to record all the OTHER activities that they are interested in doing and that's pretty much me.

I figure that, when I get to the point where I simply can no longer live without a camera drone, I'll see how much money is in my piggy bank and see what the prices are at that time.
Last edited by Dave Grason on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:29 am

Dave

Your assessment of the Phantom is right on. It seems to be an easy to fly camera platform. But, it isn't going to do a lot of just fly around stuff. No loops, no rolls, and nothing inverted. But, you can get others that do. You can probably get a Phantom and a play copter for less than the Mavic.

I haven't priced or thought this all out. Just a thought.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:26 pm

Is this a post about G-11 or, a post about drone toys??
please move the post to a drone post as necessary.
lets stay on subject, pls.
thanks.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Gathering 2016”