G-11

Hear & Discuss Everything that Happened at the 2016 Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

CaptDave

Re: G-11

Postby CaptDave » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Mike,
The art looks good. I like the clean lines. Very reproducible for print or silk screen. Good job.
It has my full approval as is.

David Fannon
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Thank you, everyone! I'm happy that you like it.

Dave, yes... That was basically my goal, to boil the design down to a few simple shapes; to "say a lot, with a little" so to speak. Also, that way it can be screened with only one color.

Here's a version with the planks filled, rather than the seams, as Bob mentioned. I'll re-post the original one, also, for comparison.
Attachments
G-11.png
version 1
G-11v2.png
version 2
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 am

Mike my vote is for number two. Good idea Bob
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:23 am

Hard to improve on the first design, but I also like number two a little better,

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:52 am

I think it might make a difference depending on the shirt and ink color.
A dark shirt with light ink might look better as #1, since the dark/light would be reversed.
A light shirt with dark ink might be better as #2.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:08 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:I think it might make a difference depending on the shirt and ink color.
A dark shirt with light ink might look better as #1, since the dark/light would be reversed.
A light shirt with dark ink might be better as #2.

Yes, I agree with Bob's assessment. Either way, I've got the vector artwork ready-to-go for both versions for whenever the time comes for shirts, cuzies, etc.

By the way, just like the G-10 design was based on a photo I shot at an earlier Gathering (Buddy Slack's Zip), so is this one. It's based on this photo I shot of Butch's Tahoe at G-10...

-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 pm

I thought that was Butch's Tahoe from the windshield.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:33 am

I love the designs.

Because this thread is titled "G-11," I'll post my questions here:

I've been trying to lock in my reservations for a floating cabin for our 2017 Gathering. I have called Hale's Bar several times over the last few weeks but I constantly only get the voice mail and then I don't get a return call. I realize it is now the off season for those folks and they've very likely enjoying a badly needed break. But, I also have some other questions for them beyond next year's G. Does anyone have a phone number for Tony at the ship's store?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:44 am

Ok, BELAY my previous post. I just tried calling one more time and I got through.

So now I have a two bedroom floating cabin reserved and I myself only need one of those bedrooms. I've got cabin #1... I think I have that one anyway... I think that it's the very first cabin there on the corner. So,if anyone wants to split the costs with me, I'll be happy to work with you any way I can.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:54 am

Hi All,,,, I just got off the phone with HB. They have been having phone/electric problems for a coupe weeks and apologize for not getting voice mails and returning calls. Because G-10 was such a success, they have decided to block out Land cabins 5, 6, and 7, all floating cabins, and a few cabins in the RV area. These will be reserved for our Glen-L group on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights ( 14th, 15th, and 16th). I have reserved Land Cabin #7. They will put exact names and dates with each cabin as people call in for their reservation. They don't require any credit card payment until you check in. So please don't hesitate to make your reservation. Several of us have talked about coming up with a boating event on Thursday as it seems many have been coming earlier each year. Any ideas?? If you have already made your reservation, I suggest you call one more time just to make sure everything is in order.. All take care..... Neel

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:13 am

Neel

I think we need to declare Thursday an official Gathering day. A lot of people are coming in for the Friday run anyway.

Maybe, a trip down to the bat cave. But, it is a little scary without GPS and Sonar. Those damn rock piles.

Hell! I'd rather have dinner and meet people!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:14 am

neel thompson wrote:Hi All,,,,
Several of us have talked about coming up with a boating event on Thursday as it seems many have been coming earlier each year. Any ideas??

I know, I know!!! :twisted: Let's all pile on to Ray Macke's boat and go for a moonlight beer cruise.

Of course, Ray and his wife would have to find something to do until we all got back. :wink:

All kidding aside, I haven't seen the bat cave. Having some sort of evening river run would be a LOT of fun and could also become something of a tradition. So I don't know about any rock piles. Do tell. But I'm one of those guys that definitely wants to come earlier. I've come down for Friday two years in a row now whereas I used to just aim for Saturday and Sunday. For me, this is no longer just a weekend event. I need a couple of days just to unwind so that Saturday becomes restful, too. I've already reserved my cabin for Thursday night. But I may shoot for Wednesday even if no one else is there. I would perfectly happy dangling my feet off the dock and feeding the ducks.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:11 am

Dave

The rock piles are from the construction of the old dam. They had to build the railroad track to bring in the big equipment. They had to blast a lot of rock to get the tracks flat enough. The rock was just piled up along the way. It wasn't a problem back then. But, when they build the new dam the rock piles were covered with water. some of them break the surface, some don't. Many of them are marked. I don't think all of them are marked. The markers are difficult to see day or night.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:16 am

Ok, I know about the rock piles that are ... virtually right there at Hale's Bar Marina ... just down stream. You can even see them on the satellite view on Google Maps. We would certainly have to watch out for them at night. Are these the ones you are referring too? You are absolutely correct. These require vigilance. I thought maybe there were more down near the cave.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:28 am

Dave

I'm not sure just how far they go down the lake. I would not want to hit one day or night! The way to the cave is south of the channel and goes under a low bridge under the railroad track. So, they probably don't go that far.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Gathering 2016”