G-11 Report

Join in the planning for another GREAT time with the Glen-L boatbuilders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

G-11 Report

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 am

G-11 was great! We lost a few people this year to having to do restoration work after the hurricanes, RV breakdown in TX, and silly things like a wedding in the family. But, we still had around 50 people. I didn't get a count on boats, probably about 20.

Neel Thompson and Craig Flemming came in on Monday. More showed up through the week. Many of us came on Thursday. Thursday is mostly unload, set-up, and launch boats. Thursday night, Neel and Craig put on spaghetti dinner at their cabin. This is a great time to renew friendships and make new ones.

Hales Bar has been doing lots of work and up grades. Lots of this is because of our group. Their booking has started going up because of it. The staff looks forward to the Gathering and they actually take part. They are a welcome part. This year they have added a barge party deck and have been painting the cabins.

Friday morning waffle and sausage breakfast. About 10:15 to 10:30 we loaded up the boats, for a 35 mile river cruise to Chattanooga, for lunch at Big River Grill. This is a really fun part of the Gathering. Friday night we had Italian Sausage in a Red Cream Sauce w/Penne Pasta and left over Spaghetti. Guitars on the dock, and Karaoke at Keith Mclean's cabin.

Saturday morning waffle and sausage breakfast. Lots of boat rides for anyone that was interested. Lots on boat building talk. Bob Maskle and Vicky put on shredded beef sandwiches for lunch (Very Good). About 1:30 the boats loaded up for a great run to the dam together to take pictures. That night we had Crawfish Etoufee and Chicken and Dumplings. And, more music. and Mead.

After we ate we did a few awards. For those who don't know, these are not Best Of Awards, They are for fun!

Gathering 11 Awards
Glad You’re Still Here, Chris Atwood, Cancer Survivor

Unsung Hero, Paula Barto, Always Positive and Willing to Help (We made Skip Hokin sing to her because in 2011 he told her she couldn’t sing.)

Lonnnng Distance Traveler, Skip Hokin, Australia

Skip’s Award for Karaoke, Craig Flemming, You Should Not Be Singing

Spookiest Award, For Tony and the Hales Bar Ghost

The Gathering Graphic Artist Award, Mike Maddox

Most Colorful Attendee, Ziggy McLean, Keith’s Parrot

Disappointed, But Still Trying, John Amunsen, He survive the hurricane and came anyway. Then could not get his boat to run right.

Sunday morning waffles and sausage. Most people are packed up and gone by 9:00, lots of long distance travelers.

I have eight packages of Tee Shirts that I'll try to get to you.

Another victim of Hurricane Irma is the koozies. There was a mix-up on the art work. We got that straighten out. But, they are in Miami and they didn't ship in time. They are pretty nice in multiple colors.

Bill
Attachments
101_3537.JPG
101_3536.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BarnacleMike

Re: G-11 Report

Postby BarnacleMike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 am

Nice touch with the blue and orange cuzies there, Bill! War Eagle!

(If I'd done them, they'd be Red and Black, of course. Go DAWGS!)
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am

By the way, I want to once again and publicly thank Chris for driving me 36 miles home and back Saturday night to get a spare key... since my key to the pickup truck was at the bottom of the lake :)
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am

Mike

I/we have black and red. Chris's drive is what the Gathering is really about, friends.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:13 am

Sounds like a great time. Glad the weather worked out! I'll be busting tail to get my boat done for the next one as soon as this latest "heat wave" lets up.

Return to “Gathering 2017”