Tape and tack 16 gauge steel RowMe?

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

DeltaDawg

Tape and tack 16 gauge steel RowMe?

Post by DeltaDawg »

I have been looking for a project to develop my welding skills with my Lincoln Electric 140HD (Home Depot) welder. When it arrives from the East Coast by Yak caravan book rate postage I will read Stephan Pollard's "Boat Building with Aluminum" recommended on this site. My welder supports a spool gun but after reading the thread on this board I do not want one, looks like a lot of trouble. I also do not want to weld in my garage I do not like the fire hazard. Welding outdoors the Argon shielding gas would blow away so I am kicking the aluminum can down the road if I do it at all.

A Harbor Freight birthday coupon was burning a hole in my pocket so I bought the pneumatic nibbler and the flange-punch tools.

I was intrigued to find this thread https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/my-o ... EWuPJ7cJmM and I am just finishing up my Glen-L stitch and glue plywood RowMe so I think my pandemic fall winter project with be a tape and tack 16 gauge steel RowMe using inner shield flux core wire in my Lincoln Electric 140. Attached are some pictures of some recent welding projects the largest and most accurate to date being my router sled for live edge table tops.

I welcome your steel boat building, welding knowledge, advice and experience. Thank you, Leland
Attachments
20180501_131717.jpg
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG

DeltaDawg

Re: Tape and tack 16 gauge steel RowMe?

Post by DeltaDawg »

My Boatbuilding with Aluminum book has not arrived still traveling book rate via Yak caravan from the East coast. Moose Metal my local steel supplier sells 16 gauge hot rolled mill finish steel for $88 per 4'x10' sheet; 316 stainless steel for $385. West Coast Protective Coatings has a big enough oven to powder coat she says they charge $1,200 for a car body so a boat might be in the same church.

I learned FreeShip can "Develop Plates" for the flat patterns; downloaded the software runs okay on Windows 10; printed and read the 57 page manual; well written and a really nice app.

I got Glen-L's RowMe line drawing loaded as a background and am ready to start moving around points to make a model. This is fun, station, buttock line and water line coordinate system just like old times at Boeing.

I don't know if I will powder coat or not auto bodies were sheet metal for years just primed and enamel painted. I have a name for the sheet metal boat "Magneto". When I worked at Boeing one of the guys told me old timers in the south use to telephone for catfish with a crank telephone generator, one lead to the aluminum boat hull, one lead cast off in the water and got gunny sacks of catfish until Fish and Game took their generator. Years later I saw a YouTube of some fool wiring his outboard's magneto to the aluminum hull, shocked himself and landed in the water, made for a funny video. :shock: Anyway I think this boat will be called "Magneto". Leland
Attachments
FreeShipRowMe.JPG
FreeShipModel2Plates_2.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

"Boatbuilding with Aluminum" by Stephen Pollard arrived and I paged through it. The book might be more useful to someone thinking of setting up a small aluminum boatbuilding shop than it is to me building a 1 of boat for personal use. The author writes about $1,800 investment in welding equipment, using special alloys for construction, cleaning well before welding and welding both sides because when you apply heat to 1 side the other side oxidizes. He also writes about using special aluminum extrusions for the chine and gunnel and calls out the die # used for the the extrusion probably cost prohibitive to have 20 feet of extrusion for 1 boat from a mill.

I do not think it would be possible to weld an aluminum boat with my Lincoln Electric 140 HD even if I bought the $250 spool gun.

I did find a Harbor Freight store with a piercing and flange tool and picked up a pop rivet gun. I read a lot about rivets including about old Grumman rivet canoes and I remember those from when I was at Boy Scout camp 50 years ago. To do a nice job with rivets would take a lot more tooling and practice.

I want to finish learning in FreeShip developing plates to make flat patterns out of the 3D model and maybe making some of my own boat designs

While Stephen Pollard writes about building with aluminum is easier than wood I just don't agree with that so for now I plan to finish my plywood build and enjoy fishing. Leland
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG

Yofish

Post by Yofish »

I see that the person in your link did make a boat, rather surprisingly. You will be challenged using 16 ga. material. The only thing I can ad is keep gaps as small as possible.

Return to “Metal”