Scrambler update

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Scrambler update

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:02 am

Charles

I could show you many things on my runabout. I could show you a few things on the tugboat (Few because it is much smaller). You'll work through this. But, you still see ting that nobody else will see or care.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:50 am

Charles,
Don't worry about what the termites think. I have said a lot of times I would like to buy the first boat I ever built and sell it for scrap metal. The man who now owns sees no flaws with it. I promise you the warpage in it was worse than I see in yours. However if you can get it back to level then weld something joining both sides and the bottom together it will eliminate the issue. Even if what you weld in is temp until you put something permanent in like the front deck it will hold the boat in place.

You may not ever want to tackle another boat build but after having built many myself I think you everyone should build at least two, one to get the kinks out and the next one to get it like you want it. You may not make a big profit but I bet after you are finished and use it for a bit you will find someone who would love to own it.!!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:59 am

Us "termites" do appreciate the skill and work you put into your craft and medium.

I welded boat trailers for Magic Tilt Trailers many moons ago, but have never worked with aluminum

I have a Miller-Matic model 35 Mig, but will stick to steel for my street rod builds, and wood for my boats!!! :wink:

I was thinking the same...if you can get it level then weld in the seats, gunwales,whatever else goes in it, it should be fine,but never having worked with aluminum, I didn't have that experience so kept my mouth shut on this issue

Generally the more you install on these builds, the stiffer the hull gets and holds shape.

Carry on!! :wink: :D :D

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:13 pm

upspirate wrote:Us "termites" do appreciate the skill and work you put into your craft and medium.

I welded boat trailers for Magic Tilt Trailers many moons ago, but have never worked with aluminum

I have a Miller-Matic model 35 Mig, but will stick to steel for my street rod builds, and wood for my boats!!! :wink:

I was thinking the same...if you can get it level then weld in the seats, gunwales,whatever else goes in it, it should be fine,but never having worked with aluminum, I didn't have that experience so kept my mouth shut on this issue

Generally the more you install on these builds, the stiffer the hull gets and holds shape.

Carry on!! :wink: :D :D

Did not mean any offense if you took it that way. I could make a mell of a hess trying to build out of wood!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 pm

No offense was taken....the rest of us wood builders are in awe at the aluminum construction!!! :wink: :D

cbrammer

Post by cbrammer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Thank you all very much for cheering me up. Thinking out how this could have happened left me feeling a bit down. I know its not perfect and I never expected it to be -- but I dont want to go backwards now when I'm ready to start working on finishing this up. The thought I might need to take an extra 1+ months to repair this issue was making me think I would be better off starting over. But my wife already told me I can't do another boat until next year unless I make it at home and my work shop at home isn't big enough for this kind of project.

My goal is to work at resolving these issues and keep moving forward. I want to keep to my deadline and have it rigged and ready to go before the end of the steel head run last week in April and ready to take my two kids Blue Gill fishing in it in May (knock on wood).
Charles Brammer

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:20 pm

:lol: considering I only took welding 101 in college and have only did farm welding (if it holds its good who cares what it looks like) since who am I to say anything :lol: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

cbrammer

Post by cbrammer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:12 pm

GOOD NEWS...I got most of the twist out! The frames are all squared up to each other and I’m very happy. I’m not able to work on it at night for the next few weeks so I’m planning on working on it before work. I also just got in most of the stuff I needed to work on the interior. I purchased some premade deck hatches and Moller 18 gallon fuel tank. That should help me get moving along. Now I just need to work out how to do the deck framing and I will be happy. My plan is to build the framing for the anchor locker, fuel tank and front casting platform next. Are there any rules of thumb for the spacing of deck frames for 1/8” aluminum decking?
Charles Brammer

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Glad you got it out. On your deck questions. I am a huge man (6'6" 280lbs) so I put mine at 16" centers. There was still a little flex and give but nothing to be alarmed about. Unless you go with a .160 or .195 I think you will always have some flex in the metal when someone stands directly on a deck. I used a variety of methods to attach decks to braces and even the floor longitudes. On some I drilled 5/8" holes about every 1' and plugged welded the plates to the braces. On others I either used very high quality SS rivets or flush mount SS screws to secure the deck plates. The problem with the plugged welded ones was I would always get some plate warpage. I actually started use more rivets and screws than welding.

The weld warpage was never sever but even with that there would be a little plate buckling which would really cause the deck/floor to pop or give when you stepped on it.

cbrammer

Post by cbrammer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm 6'5" 270 so I will be sure to keep the spacing 16" or less.

I Got some good time in on the boat today. I just got the anchor motor in yesterday as well as the trailer. I’m going to get the transom braces installed Friday and then load it on the trailer. It should be ready for a float test to see if there and any leaks.
Attachments
April 5.JPG
Charles Brammer

cbrammer

Post by cbrammer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

I have the transom all welded up inside and out (I recut the stern so I could add a kicker motor to it later). The bow is reinforced and a mount for my anchor motor is installed.

Mcmbuilder, I was told by a local boat builder this was enough reinforcing for the transom (he thinks this boat is a tank…and that’s OK with me). What do you think? I still have to tie in the rear platform so there will be more support moving forward tied into the longitudinalsand side plating.
Attachments
It floats and no leaks!
It floats and no leaks!
Now I need to finish the decking.
Now I need to finish the decking.
Transom
Transom
Charles Brammer

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Sorry for the slow reply,,, had a couple of 16hr work days. You have plenty of bracing and supports in the transom as well as the rest of the boat. Looks like the twist came out very well. Keep the pics coming,,, nice looking build so far. The boat is not a lot different from the ones I use to build. The build is a lot different but the lines of the boat and the style are very similiar. GOOD JOB!!

cbrammer

Post by cbrammer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I came in to work on the boat this afternoon and was able to fit the gas tank & hose fitting as well as start framing in the forward decking. I have a hatch to add to access the anchor locker as well as a storage hatch just forward of the gas tank.

I also added a jack plate to allow me to switch from jet back to prop.
Attachments
april15.2.JPG
april15.1.JPG
Charles Brammer

slug

Post by slug » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 am

Looking really good Charles..your welding skills are showing up well.
Won't be long now.

Doug

cbrammer

Post by cbrammer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm

I had to take some time off from the boat this week. But I was able to get a keel guard welded on today. I'm ready to start cutting decking and flooring. Also, I need to study up on wiring my boat.

I hope to get back on this project over the weekend but i have a buyer coming to look at my old boat-- hope it sells
Attachments
April 19.2.JPG
Charles Brammer

Return to “Metal”